View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Having just sold and bought for the first time in 20 years, what a nightmare (as you may have read)

On the buying side, the house we bought was first on the market at a lot more than when we viewed it. By the time we viewed it they had reduced it several times but it had a offers in excess of on it. When we booked to view I asked the estate agent were they open to offers, he said depended on what it was and our position. At the time we had sold to a no chain buyer, so we viewed and made a lower offer due to the state of the property. This was lower than one they had received a couple of months earlier and rejected, but for whatever reason they accepted ours and even though we had problems they stuck with us, despite the agent trying to drum up other buyers.

So I would say it is up to you how nosey you want to be and how valuable your time is. We also moved area by about an hour or so and spent many weekends over nearly 2 years driving past places and either then discounting them or booking to view. However it wasn't until this place that we found somewhere that grabbed us. I think if you don't have to move it can take a long time to find what you want. But if you find it then just agree to pay what it is worth to you regardless of what the agents jargon or sales pitch is!

On the selling side, well it is up to you what you say about the price and who you let view it. We decided not to be picky and we let people who hadn't sold view ours, some people wouldn't do that, but we thought they could sell the day after and if we had said no then they wouldn't come back! The agent also knew what price we wanted but still had a couple of random offers, they have to put them to you by law. Finally, anyone can pull out at any stage before contracts exchanged with no costs other than what you have spent on surveys etc. Our agent was also no sale no fee so we could have pulled out for any reason and not had anything to pay.

With hindsight we should have told our buyers to sling their hook but we are in a place we now love already that we may have lost but our buyers are still causing us grief which we don't know when will end I also think my dh has lost the will to live after 2 bathroom design appointments lasting in total 5 hours

Good luck with it all and I'd say get a skip and start decluttering now as you will have far more stuff than you realise if you haven't moved for a few years!
I must admit I didn't read about the issues you had, but it does sound a bit of a nightmare.

Pleased that you are happy how you ended up, but how can you buyers still be causing you grief (I don't disbelieve you - just curious)?

I hope you're not going with the big really expensive companies getting bathroom quotes (like dolphin - where the sale people are desperate for their huge commission). Must reputable fitters won't spend long in your home.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List