View Single Post
Old 18 May 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thanks for the reply. I fly on the UC seats to MCO from MAN and the little arm rest goes down into the seat at the moment if you push the silver button on the top so giving a bit more room but on the new planes it looks static, I know the arm rests on the PE dont move and the headphone jack is in the side so with a big butt ( like mine ) it digs in the side of my leg. hopfully they will keep the 747 till the bitter end!
Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs Dot, perhaps the arm rest you refer to on the 747 was already down when we flew as neither of us remember it. Thanks for the heads up Dot

According to VA, unless it changes, their 747's will be phased out by 2021.

Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
Hi, these new planes with the different premium seating, when are they rolling out in Manchester? 18 inches as mentioned above is well... rubbish, not really premium is it! I decided on our last trip that economy is just way too uncomfortable for 9+ hrs so its premium or nothing. Not liking the idea of ending up with the new narrower seats.

Any ideas?
Hi ML, well, whilst not definitive (logistics could mean a different aircraft required at Man or LGW), a crew lass advised 'there'll always be a 747 on the MCO route til retirement'. Once the big boys are retired, it'll be interesting to see what VA line up as replacement, perhaps:

A330-300/A340-600 currently 21" of width in PE/38" of pitch, or,

A330-200, 17.7" of width/36" pitch, 4 of 'em leased when the RR Trent 1000 Dreamliners were returned to RR due to knacked engines.

If we want, as currently known, PE, we'll have to revert to MCO (keeping fingers crossed no aircraft change) or stay with Man to Atl to RSW, hoping for the A330-300. I concur ML, the latest numbers do not a PE seat make, especially as Warkman states width is 17.7", per economy, not the 18" I read. Initially it may be suck it and see.

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
A330 and A350 are smaller cabin widths, so, yes 20” width in UC, 17.7 in Premium economy, same as economy.

VA are also 20” width in CW, but 18.5 in WTP and 17.5” in economy.

Those widths seem to be the industry standard
Hi WM, thanks for the info on seat width, it's worse than the 18" I'd read! Also my thoughts that VA're reducing their once regarded PE/UC seating widths to the industry standard. PE figures now only offer a couple more inches than extra legroom and wonder how they'll price these seats. These awld bones can't fly economy, we'll also consider Dublin to Fl in business class. I doubt we're the only PE travellers now contemplating flying business with other airlines.