View Single Post
Old 14 May 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

With two pale-skinned gingers amongst us, we purchase quite a bit of sun cream, but these brands haven't all been positive experiences.

This is our US sun screen haul-

Hawaiian Tropic: teen dd fancies a tropical smell, so she chose Hawaiian Tropic. Unfortunately, she practically burns in the shade with it, despite reapplying hourly. I have stopped her using it.

Equate (from Walmart): works well to prevent burning on the younger kids, even in water, but gives two of us a rash so we don’t use it any longer. We two do have some other skin allergies (aloe vera, several shampoos, hair conditioners, hand/body creams, and hand soaps), so we may be sensitive to an ingredient.

Trader Joe’s spray (from Trader Joe obvs): smells good, thin coverage so we still burn despite reapplying hourly

Banana Boat spray: works well, but thin coverage so we still burn despite reapplying hourly

Coppertone Face and Neutrogena Face: works well for our sensitive skin and we get no rash or breakouts with these

Blue Lizard (Australian): works the better than the US sun creams when reapplied hourly

Coppertone Water Babies: works well and smells good enough

**This year, because of our skin sensitivities and our desire to avoid the constant applications of chemicals to skin all over our bodies, we are switching to mineral sunscreens. (I understand Hawaii is also banning the sale and use of chemical sunscreens because of reef damage.) After doing some research, we will purchase before we travel and pack in our checked cases. I’ve read many positive reviews of Badger Organic Sunscreen and Tropic Skincare Sunbalm. We may also try Neutrogena Sheer Zinc. Dd wants to try Australian Gold. I want to avoid nano-particles, which may be too easily absorbed in the skin, and because we will be using a lot of sun cream every day, I want to be careful. I also want to avoid sprays because we don’t get enough coverage with them.