View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

PRE-TRAVEL DAY

We spent the night at Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport. For anyone looking for an airport hotel when flying from GLA, I can’t fault this one. We only paid £70 for the night and it is literally across the road from Departures.

Holiday Inn

It was just the two of us this evening, as my mum prefers her own bed. Nik finished work at six o’clock, so we had a mad rush to make it to Glasgow before the restaurant closed at the 9.45 pm listed online. We arrived around 9 and I double checked at the front desk what time the restaurant closed and was told 9.30!

We were seated straight away in a really nice booth. We had a lovely server who told us we were the politest people from Dundee he had ever met. He took our drinks order for two Pepsis and shortly afterwards two pints of Pepsi Max were delivered to the table by another server. I explained that we ordered Pepsi, which he seemed surprised by, he said they didn’t have any Pepsi and put the glasses on the table. I asked if we could change them for something else and he was not happy about this, he slammed the glasses back on the tray, almost spilling them in the process and walked away muttering to himself and whispered something to another server. He returned with our second set of drinks and was nice as pie, so I decided just to let it lie, we were going on holiday and I wasn’t going to let myself get in a tiz over something so petty.

I only realised recently that when you upload your photos directly to the Dibb readers can’t click on them to enlarge them meaning all the menu photos I shared in last year’s report are unreadable *face palm* This year, I’ll upload them elsewhere so you can hopefully see them without a magnifying glass

They had a special offer, which allowed a Starter and a Main for two along with a bottle of wine or a soft drink for £39.99, but the dishes I wanted weren’t included in this so we opted for a la carte instead.

I was intrigued by the sound of the Mac & Cheese Smoked Haddock Fish Cake accompanied with Flame roasted tomato relish.

This was delicious, the fish wasn’t overpowering, as smoked haddock can often be, and the cake was nicely crisply on the outside. The relish made a great accompaniment and it was also served with rocket, which added a nice bit of texture.

Nik had Crispy Chicken Wings with your choice of sticky barbecue or Frank’s hot chilli sauce and cheddar slaw

He loved these, they were definitely crispy as promised. I tried one and they reminded me of the wings they serve at Wetherspoons. He also said the barbecue sauce was just the right strength and sweetness. I tried the ‘Cheddar Slaw’, I’m not sure what was ‘cheddar’ about this certain the orange you can see in the picture was carrots. It was nice enough, but I prefer my slaw to be dripping in dressing.

Next up, I had the 8oz Rib eyeOur West Country steaks are aged for a minimum of 21 days & come with garlic roasted field mushroom, grilled tomato, fries & rocket salad.

I asked for it to be medium-rare and it arrived perfectly cooked, although the meat itself was a little tough. The chips look awful in the photo, and in person actually, but they were delicious; nice and crispy, I couldn’t stop eating them. I also added Bearnaise Sauce and Garlic Butter, both were great, particularly the Bearnaise, this was better than the Bearnaise I had last year at Narcoossee’s, and it probably came from a packet!

Nik ordered Butter Chicken Balti with Basmati rice, grilled naan bread, pineapple & mustard pickle.

This looked was though it was going to be spicy but it wasn’t, it was bursting with flavour and the chicken was very soft. He cleared the plate, and also polished of a side of fries which he enjoyed as much as I did.

We didn’t bother with dessert despite me having high hopes of managing three courses. The meal including a discretionary service charge came to £68.48, which was very pricey but we thoroughly enjoyed our food so would happily pay that again considering our only other option was a Tesco sandwich!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List