Hal
Gloria sic transit mundi.

Hal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 17
BA First to Dubai: A Few Days at Al Qasr Madinat Jumeirah

I know from my postings that many of you are looking at, or are booked on, trips to Dubai – I hope this helps you.

Background
For the first time since our eldest who is now 7 was born, DW and I were going to be away from the children. We are orphans with no family near us so we have not been able to have a break together away from the kids – ever, until now that is! Our new live out Nanny was willing to do overnight baby-sitting, so I started planning a short break. Because this was so long in coming I wanted it to be special. DW doesn’t like flying but wanted to see Dubai, so I booked two BA seats flying out on the Wednesday evening and back on the Saturday at noon. This worked for us as we would be away Wed, Thurs and Fri night but back on Sat. BA’s Dubai flights are on 777s which unlike the 747s have not been upgraded to the New Club World, so I thought splashing out on our first FIRST was justified.

After some research I booked us in to the Madinet Jumeirah resort, specifically the Al Qasr. The most famous hotel in Dubai is the Burj al Arab, which is the world’s only 7-star hotel. Rooms there cost ca. £1,200 a night but feedback on the hotel is mixed. The neighbouring hotels are owned by the same group – Jumeirah – and the ruler of Dubai (Sheikh Makhtoum for all you horse racing fans is a shareholder and board member apparently). These are the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, which was originally the top hotel in Dubai, and the Madinet Jumeirah resort which comprises of the Mina Salam hotel, the Al Qasr hotel, the Dar al Masayam Villas, and the Malaniyike Royal Villas.

The Madinet Jumeirah has a great reputation as a 5-star resort. The Mina al Salam is the least expensive; the Al Qasr is 10% more; and the Dar al Masayam Villas a further 10%. I think the Malaniyike Villas are in a different price league – the type where Madonna or Roman Abramovich would holiday. Space wise the rooms were 50m2, 55m2, and 60m2. The Al Qasr is more luxurious than the Mina al Salam. I wasn’t sure whether to book this or the villas but I preferred the idea of staying in the hotel so the Al Qasr it was. After taking advice from the internet I booked return airport transfers each way. I also prebooked the Ultimate Afternoon Tea at the Burj al Arab or the Thursday and the Sundowner Desert Safari for the Friday.

On with the report.

Owner at Marriott Marbella Beach, Cypress Harbour, & Harbour Lake; and DVC OKW & BLT.

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Hal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List