View Single Post
Old 5 Mar 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 10: Finally Going Home and Final Thoughts

I woke up at 11.45 pm and thought oh no - going to be a long night! But thankfully I nodded off again, woke up at 6.15 and then dozed until 8.30! A successful night!

I made my way over to the airport to pick up my breakfast voucher. Whilst at the Air Canada desk, I asked if they could just check if the afternoon direct flight had seats available. The agent looked on the computer, said it looked full but would ring Brussels Airline for me. Success, there was a seat which they would deblock for me. I swear that being nice yesterday paid off!

She advised me to check in immediately, which I did. I then got a cheese sandwich and latte for breakfast.

The airport was quite busy. I headed back to my room until midday when I had to check out.

I love the old fashioned flight boards!

I forgot to say that when I checked in I was actually in what Brussels called their Fast and Flex seats - front of plane, free seat next to you, fast track and priority boarding! So for the first time ever I went through the no queue line!

Once through l got myself an apple lime and ginger juice. It was lovely - just what I needed. I found a quiet place and sat and tableted.

Boarding started on time! We were probably about 10 minutes late taking off and also arriving.

Passport control was a zoo but surprising my bag was there!

J and F came to pick me up and I was home by 6.30pm - only about 29 hours late!

My final thoughts:

I loved doing the statue walks - it was such an interesting way to see things that often just pass you by. This one was my favourite statue.

Using the RESO underground tunnels. Once I got my bearings it was such a fabulous way of getting around.

Visiting the churches - so visibly stunning and so restful. Though I did find St Joseph's Oratory very odd with all its escalators.

The food - especially the fish and chips! It is a lit easier feeding one than four!

The snow - indeed I would have liked even more of it! The city is obviously well set up to deal with it!

I thought the hotel was good - well situated, big room though the breakfast did get repetitive! I would definitely recommend it!

Not many low points:

The snooty cafe! No coffee and an expensive piece of baguette and cheese!

My french course in the sense that it didn't really meet my expectations. The teacher spoke way too much. One positive is that I feel I am making more effort to not make so many mistakes.

The detour to Brussels - arriving 29 hours late was not really on my agenda. I made the best of it but I would have preferred just to get home!

So overall I had a great trip! The rest of the family survived!

I calculated that I walked over 150km! No wonder I was asleep by 9pm most nights!

Many thanks to everyone who has read along with me - it is much appreciated!

Next trip is New England in July! See you then!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List