View Single Post
Old 3 Nov 16, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Kuala Lumpar 2016 LIVE - All By Myself: Day 7 - Merdeka Square and a lot of walking

Another good night sleep - woke up at 7.05am. I lazed around for a couple of hours before leaving for hopefully a lighter day on the legs!

I made my way to a new station - Pudu in order to get the LRT to Masjid Jamek. The area I walked through seemed to be a more locals area than a tourist one.

The train was, as usual, an efficient way to get around. They are very clean and very cheap (less than 1euro a time)

Merdeka Square is an important place in Malaysia's history. It is where the Malaysian flag was first raised at midnight on 31st August 1957 after independence from the UK. It is surrounded by some interesting buildings.

This is the Royal Selangor Club, built in 1884 and a social home to KL's elite! Very british looking!

This is the Sultan Abdul Samad Building - the first public building in Malaysia built in 1897.

I liked this image of the old and the new!

I went into the KL Gallery - 5RM. They had a pretty exhibition of batik materials.

Then there was a film about KL - with a model of the city (which as enormous! ). I didn't realise that Malaysia has a population of 30 million. The film was short but well done.

I still hadn't had breakfast. There was a cafe in the gallery so I got a vegetarian puff and a lemonade. It was 10RM but I got the 5RM off that it cost yo go in. So 1.25 euros!

It was lovely - the puff was spicy but not so much that it was inedible!

I then crossed the road to the National Textile Museum. This was free to enter.

It was an interesting place - especially how batik is made.

There was also exhibits of costumes worn by the various different groups within Malaysia.

I then walked to the Central Market where I had gone on Sunday to pick up some souvenirs. I got magnets for the kids, some batik sarongs, and some soap.

I also couldn't resist having the sweet and sour veggies again - still 8.50 RM (2 euros).

I decided to give Chinatown another try but couldn't again get into it. I hotfooted it out and caught the LRT back to KL Sentral.

It probably is more atmospheric at night. But as I don't like crowds that probably wouldn't improve my view

I got a cappuccino in Starbucks at the mall attached to the station and caught up with my emails. On that front there was sad news - a death in the family - Flash the guinea pig. DH said that DD was taking it quite well.

The weather has been kind to me. Mainly grey skies but no rain. Until this afternoon. It was bucketing down. I decided to do another lap of the mall. Thankfully when I came out it had stopped do I got the monorail back.

At the hotel I sorted out my suitcase as tomorrow is my last day - my flight is at 23.45. I have booked to stay at the hotel until Saturday so I can actually use the day.

After about an hour I went out again. I headed to Jalan Alor which is the most famous of the food hawker streets. It was still early so not as packed ad I think it gets later.

Lots of different fruit on offer! Including the durian which is apparently a bit of a marmite of a fruit!

Some dim sum being steamed!

And lots of skewers ready yo be cooked!

Being the fussy eater that I am, I have to say I wasn't tempted.

I headed over to one of the many malls where I ended ip in TGI Fridays. Not the best choice (in my defence we don't have them in France). The juice was lovely but the fish and chips were nothing special. Being a non meat eater is a bit of a challenge in that you are never sure if things really are meat free.

After I walked over to the Petronas Towers to watch the fountains.

The principle is the same ad the fountains in Vegas - set to music. It was drizzling again.

Nice to see but nothing that I would need to rush back for!

I walked back and have now collapsed in bed. My lighter day has seen me walking over 30,700 steps - nearly 22km. I now need to stay awake for another 90 minutes so I can do my check in!

Edited at 03:19 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List