View Single Post
Old 1 Aug 17, 02:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 7 - Shopping and Riding the Rapids

As usual with us, the day started early at about 6.30am. J tried to quietly make coffee but it wasn't happening and the kids got up!

We all made our own breakfasts and discussed the day's plans. It was decided we would go to Perth to go to Canadian Tire for fish supplies and then the afternoon the rapids would be the activity of choice!

Canadian Tire is a mish mash of homeware, DIY, sport, toys - everything you could possibly need in life

We spent over an hour in here and came out with some bug spray, a citronella candle, and most importantly three large heavy duty rubber rings - much better than the rings we had bought with us!

There had been a lack of internet at the cabin this morning so the boys were left at Timmy's for a download fix whilst F and I went to the dollar stores (long fishing net found at C$2) and the supermarket for more yoghurt and eggs!

It has to be said that Tim Horton's is such good value - an expresso, an iced milky coffee and two cookies came to C$4.70

O made a fruit salad for dessert while F pumped up the rings!

Lunch was pizza - nothing exciting but filled a gap!

The water was tested as we discussed what was needed for the descent on the rapids. I was going to meeting them at the end point in the car with towels and straps to put the rings on the roof of the car (we come with everything )

And off they went!

I drove the 6 minutes to the bridge pick up point. I sat and read my kindle as I waited as we didn't know how long it would take!

And there they come - 30 minutes later!

It was declared as being brilliant - though J said it was at the upper limit of what he felt was possible. After the bridge there is another long stretch of rapids but these are of a faster nature and probably not really doable!

I took them back and the while exercise was repeated another two times!

Then it was on with fishing. A guy at Canadian Tire recommended corn kernels as bait. They work!

F was thrilled as it was the first time she had managed all on her own to catch a fish - J had helped previously!

Here he is! He was released shortly after back into the river!

My frog of the day

Dinner was hash browns and egg!

We decided to go for a drive! It us a good way of scouting out possible activities!

We spotted these - we think they were turkeys but aren't sure!

We ended up at Dalhousie Lake. The river we are on comes from here - so it was decided a river cruise on the rings from here could be a goer! No rapids but a gentle splash down to our cabin!

By 10pm the kids are fast asleep! We won't be far behind them. All this fresh air is tiring!

Oh - the mozzies are still here but we seem yo be managing better!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List