View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

UPDATE

Back in Ireland after my Christmas trip to England. This was my second international travel and it was a bit different but still well worth the effort. This time coming back to Ireland we had to have a negative test and a Fit To Fly Cert. The Irish Government do not allow at home tests, so me and mom had to go to a testing centre. It was such a professional and efficient service in the centre of town. The test was actually an at home test but done by a clinic nurse, so we got the unofficial results within minutes. We then got our travel certs emailed within 30 minutes. The tests cost £45 each.

Then when we got back to my sisters house we checked in for our flights. We had to do a Passenger Locator Form on the Irish Government website and upload our Covid vaccine certs to the airline App. I had screen shots of my boarding pass, passenger locator form, Covid vaccine cert and the Fit To Fly negative Covid test on my phone. At the boarding gate we had to show all 3 before they scanned the boarding pass. Then at Dublin airport, they checked everything at passport control before bag reclaim.

Wearing a mask at the airport and on the flight was fine. It was only a 45 minute flight, so I didn't eat or drink but I did at the airport. I double masked and put them back on between sips of coffee and bites of food.

I am so glad that we did go to England for Christmas, as even though both countries are surging with record high Covid cases, I am able to manage the travel anxiety and I am now in a much better headspace for my California trip. The unknown fear of airports, planes, other peoples behavior and general travel anxiety in Covid times has been lessoned now that I have done the short trip to England.

The booster vaccine program in Ireland has been accelerated in the last few weeks, and my age group opened up earlier than expected. Here in Ireland like with the initial vaccine program, the booster program is strictly by age group. The first announcement said that my age group would get appointments starting 27 December, but then 24 hours later they announced that my age group would open Sunday 19 December and we could wait for an appointment or go to a walk up centre. Now this I wasn't expecting, as my flight to England was on Monday 20 December. So On Sunday 19 December, instead of packing and getting ready to travel, I went to the walk up centre. I was lucky I went earlier, the centre opened at 8.30 and, I got there at 9.00am and they closed the line for walk ups at 930am! I had to wait in line for 2 hours in the carpark, but it was fine, I just looked at it as getting my brain back into Disneyland mode

So at least now I have my booster which reduces the risk for my trip to California.

So back to the countdown to California.

Being at the airport was so nice, away from the doom and gloom, and other than everyone wearing masks, it felt so normal. The gate announcements, the people running through the concourse, the noise of the planes, after not travelling for almost 2 years, you don't realize how much you took for granted before March 2020.

Its starting to feel real now, that I'm actually going to get back to California. My check list is getting shorter. The park hours for my days are now on The Disney App.

The Genie has arrived and I've been spending a lot of time figuring things out. My trip planning spreadsheets are starting to be more detailed. I know know what time the parks open and close so my touring plans are more accurate. Ive put in my must dos into Genie and I'm keeping a watch on wait times and Lightning Lane return times.

Lunar New Year and Sweethearts Nites were announced for my park days. For the first time I can actually get to experience some of the special events and festivals.

Most of the trip planning is done for now, my hotels are booked, my transport is sorted, I have my Disney tickets, park reservations and dining reservations, my savings budget is done and currency changed and so much more.

On 17 December al the reservations for Oga's were suddenly cancelled by Disney. I was one of the lucky ones, I went back into the booking system and managed to rebook both my reservations. Disney sent us all a $25 gift card as compensation.

I am most likely going to eventually cancel my Oga's reservations. As the weeks go by, this new surge is really making me nervous for indoor dining and as much as I want to go to Oga's, I really don't think its worth the risk for me on this trip. And especially now that I have the gift card from Disney, it kinda makes it easier to cancel.

Santa was very thoughtful this year. I now have a new wallet / purse with RFID blocking. RFID blocking is important for travel now, as many bank and credit cards are contactless payment cards. I have read many travel reports of peoples cards being skimmed and cloned by thieves just walking or sitting beside them with a skimmer machine hidden in their bag or pocket.

I also have a new carry on bag, a backpack with wheels. I used it on my return to Ireland and it was really handy to be able to switch between a roller bag and a backpack.

I have been building up a stock of at home antigen tests and I plan to test myself every few days while in LA.

I have booked my Fit To Fly Covid test at Boots. The USA Government require a negative Antigen or PCR test taken 1 calendar day before arrival in USA. I have booked the test for 10am the day before I fly to California. It cost me €35 which I will pay on the day. That way I can spend the rest of the day packing and getting ready.

The Irish Government have not said if or when the return to Ireland negative test and a Fit To Fly Cert requirement will be removed. So at this stage I am expecting it to still be a requirement when I return to Ireland. Thanks to all the Canadians on Disboards they have posted lots of information about Covid tests for travel in Anaheim. I have decided to go to LAX the day before my flight and stay at an airport hotel. That way I can use the free shuttle from the hotel to LAX and book a test at the LAX testing centre. The Antigen test cost $80 with the result in 1 hour or less.

I also have to think about the what if and what to do if I don't get a negative test result. The first thing I did was to check my travel insurance. They have updated their Covid policy and I am now covered if I am refused boarding of the flight due to a positive result. They will cover the costs of food, extended hotel stay and any fees for changing flights. However I will have to pay out of pocket and then put in a claim when I return home. I am lucky that I am in the financial position to have access to extra emergency money if I need it.

I have booked a back up motel near LAX with a no fee to cancel before arrival policy. I have booked a motel specifically so that if I have to isolate I can still have access to outside. I also checked to make sure that the room I booked has a microwave and fridge and laundry facilities. I have also bookmarked food delivery services. I booked at LAX airport area because I will have to get another test to return home after the isolation.

Hopefully I will be cancelling this extra hotel but I'm sure most people would not have thought about this aspect of international travel.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List