View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

The Belated "Happy Ever After" Holiday - 2020

Earlier this year, myself and my then girlfriend, visited WDW for the first time as a couple. We had a plan for a more 'adult' visit, what with us both being in our 40's... and it pretty much worked exactly as planned.

My girlfriend absolutely loved our time there. So much so, that we couldn't WAIT to go back. With that in mind, we're planning (loosely) for 2020 now. This time around, though, we will be husband and wife! (Getting married next April, so it's just a small Mini-moon next year, but not in WDW.)

2020 will pretty much be repeat of what we did this year. We travelled late April to early May and that'll be our target for 2020. It's hot but didn't get rainy apart from a couple of mornings. I can't see us shifting from that, it just worked well.

We didn't hire a car, just used DME to and from the airport, as we stayed on-site and in the Disney Bubble! We still refer to it as 'The Bubble' as being our happy place - I'm sure you can relate.

This time around, we upgraded a couple of things but very important things they were. Firstly, Premium Economy both ways. After a disasterous homeward leg a couple of years before (my fiancée's first time) the horrible cramped conditions made it a very sad end to the trip - so we will splash out on PE (and probably will forever more!)

Secondly, we upgraded our dining plan. We stayed at the moderate resort of POR, but upgraded from the Quick Service Dining Plan to the Dining Plan (or "Regular Plan" as it was often referred to by Cast Members). As were planning to dine, properly, in more than just Quick Service places in the evening, it made perfect sense for us and whilst we're not gargantuan eaters, we were spending nigh on a $100 per night alone, so it worked out.

For 2020, there's little we found that needs changing from that plan. We visited a LOT of other resorts - Poly, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness, AKL, Contemporary either just to peruse or for breakfast/dinner. Some where good... some not so much.

In the end, because of the closeness to Disney Springs we are most likely to stay at Port Orleans, but we are edging towards POFQ - primarily because of the bus route but also because the Quick Service restaurant seems a bit nicer after its makeover. We do LOVE Riverside (but Yeeha Bob did drive us insane), but POFQ just seems a little more sedate for us young at hearts.

So, to sum up...

Premium Economy
Disney's Magical Express
Dining Plan
Port Orleans French Quarter

The twists we want to make this time around would mainly be...

Another tour of some kind. We did Keys To The Kingdom last time around and that was superb (if tiring on the feet!)

More character meals. We went to 'Ohana for breakfast, which was good, but the food was a bit average. We're planning for 1900 Park Fayre (where we know the food will likely be just as average, but it's just something we want to experience. We'd also like to visit The Crystal Palace, again, much for the same reason as 1900. (Be Our Guest is off the list as it's just not our style of food.)

Visit more bars! We visited a couple but not that many. Jock Lindsay's was OK, but not great. Splitsville (if that counts) was SPLENDID...and quite possibly our best overall set of drinks and meal for our entire stay. True story! We'd love to visit Trader Sam's too. Also, the bar at POFQ was rather nice (and less rowdy than POR) so we'll definitely hit there again.

Last time, we flipped around many of our ADR's right up until the day itself for places in Disney Springs, I dare say it'll be the same this time too apart from the Character Meals...but the planning is half the fun!

Well, I think that's it for now. Just got to wait until next February to book it (I think!) Any questions or tips?
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List