View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
sarmori
Gone all Goofy

sarmori's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
From Pacific to Atlantic - Fourteen Days of Fun In Florida August 2019: Travel Day

We had set our alarm for 6am but we were all awake before then. Whether it was excitement or nerves I am not sure but none of us slept more than four hours.

We all got washed and dressed and had a light breakfast. DS (typical teenager) backed his carry on bag right at the last minute to make sure he got maximum charging time on all his devices!

We left at about 7.40am, had a really easy drive to East Midlands airport, which only took about 40 mins. We arrived at the airport and pulled up into the meet and greet parking. They obviously take the greet part of their job seriously because the most cheerful man welcomed us and gave us directions to where to park. We went in to the terminal and got checked in (upgrading Steve's seat for extra legroom - not needed for me unfortunately!).

We had about 3 and a half hours to kill at the airport but the time seemed to go quite quickly. I was really impressed with East Midlands airport - it is only a small airport which means it is not a long walk to get to the gate but there are a few good shops and a decent choice of eating places.

We all got some food - first burgers of the holiday (and I suspect they will not be the last!) and then picked up a few things. DD and I both got a sun hat, we got DS some sunglasses and he used some of his holiday money to buy a hoodie in JD Sports (will obviously come in handy in Florida - not!).

We had a decent flight on the Dreamliner - it is noticeably quieter than other planes. I watched a Rebel Wilson film which was quite entertaining but after that hopped from one thing to another. Lunch was fine - and the chocolate orange mousse was delicious. Afternoon tea was a cheese roll and a scone with jam and clotted cream. We were glad to finally land and have the Florida heat hit us as we left the plane.

Getting through immigration wasn't too bad, although we got selected for extra screening to make sure we had no fruit, veg, plants or animals in our luggage. We had to sit in a walled area and only Steve could go and collect the baggage. While we were waiting Caitlin started asking me what would happen if you committed a crime in the US - would you get put in prison in the US or the UK? I told her that it probably was not the best place or time to start discussing that! I started to get a bit worried about the tea bags I had bought with me so I fessed up but it wasn't a problem.

When we got out of the airport our driver, Sebastian, from Hawks transportation was waiting for us and took us to Royal Pacific hotel - it only took about 40 mins and we were chatting all the way.

The hotel is really beautiful - there is bridge over a lovely river / moat thing and a pretty pool with elephant fountains in a central courtyard. The lady who checked us in was super friendly and helpful - including giving us some tips on how to get the best out of our stay.

Our room is in the third tower on the sixth floor - I really like the decor, it's themed to the Pacific islands but it's also modern and bright. We got up to the room, dumped the cases, got changed out of our travel clothes and then hit the club lounge before the food finished for the evening.

The view from our window.

Club lounge info.

They had kale salad (we gave that one a miss!) orange chicken and jasmine rice which DH, DS and I all tried. It was delicious and DS went up for another bowl. DH and I also had to take advantage of the free drinks so DH had a couple of beers and I had a rose wine. We forgot to take any dollars with us though for tipping so we will need to remember tomorrow night.

We went back to the room and got unpacked. DS and DD wanted to pop back to the club lounge for dessert hour - which was yummy cookies and creme brulee. When we got back to the room (8.30pm US time) DH was asleep so we got changed and fell into bed.

sarmori is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List