View Single Post
Old 31 Oct 21, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You can be right royally ripped off on steaks.

The most expensive best centre cut filet of 8oz bought from the best normal (not some price inflated) butcher will be about £12. Unless you are eating something like Wagyu. Quite a few internationally renowned beef farmers are around me (one was on Netflix ‘Steak Revolution’).

The best steakhouses, will serve the best cuts. So will be spending £12 say on that filet (but will get it for less trade) as raw materials.

Yes it may have better sides as well. There may be better service and maybe better decor. The chef may be more skilled (and may not, there are people at Longhorn who have cooked over a million steaks). But ultimately the raw materials are still limited to that £12 piece of top quality meat.

Point is the majority of a £100 steak meal over a £40 steak meal is pure profit.

And people who go to that place in London with the little Turkish fella with shades and a big sword- a fool and the their money are easily parted! Leave that to the footballers and reality stars with more money than sense, although he will coat a bone in rib-eye in gold leaf.

I have eaten steak in some very high end places (usually not paying myself fortunately) and I still remember a ribeye I once had at Longhorn as one of my best ever. I’ve also had some very mediocre steaks there. So you may also get more consistency at high end places. Charley’s is very good.

Edited at 08:57 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List