View Single Post
Unread 24 Apr 17, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Join Date: Jan 09

geoffa's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 8
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Passport validity / Visa requirements /Inoculations

Hong Kong

Passport validity:

Your passport should be valid for at least one month after the date of your departure from Hong Kong.


British nationals may visit Hong Kong without a visa and stay up to six months. However, if you wish to take up employment, establish or join a business, study or settle in Hong Kong, you have to obtain an appropriate visa before arrival. If you are not holding a British passport and want to know whether you need a visa for Hong Kong, please log on the website of Hong Kong Immigration Department: and go to the "public service" section for the latest information.

If you have any enquiries or need more information about the visa application, you can contact the HKSAR Immigration Department on telephone 00852 2824 6111, by fax at 00852 2877 7711, or through e-mail at

If you are travelling to mainland China via Hong Kong you must get a Chinese visa before arrival at the border. Visas are not available on arrival at the Chinese border for British passport holders. If you are entering Hong Kong via mainland China and leaving again via the mainland you will need a double or multiple entry visa for mainland China.

Innoculation recommendations:

Hepatitis A - CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Hong Kong, regardless of where you are eating or staying.

Typhoid - You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Hong Kong. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater.

Hepatitis B - You can get hepatitis B through sexual contact, contaminated needles, and blood products, so CDC recommends this vaccine if you might have sex with a new partner, get a tattoo or piercing, or have any medical procedures.


Passport validity:

Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months from the date of your visa application. If you have less than 6 months’ validity on your passport, but have a valid visa, you should be able to enter China for the duration of that visa.


China’s transit without visa (TWOV) programs allow a traveler arriving at certain ports of entry to be admitted to China and stay within a specified geographic area - Shanghai for 144 hours visa-free before continuing their journey to a third country (or region). Designated ports: Shanghai Pudong Airport (PVG) and Hongqiao Airport (SHA), Shanghai sea ports (i.e, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Wusong Passenger Transport Center), Shanghai rail ports; Nanjing Lukou Airport (NKG); Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport (HGH). Other Chinese cities may only allow 72 hours without visa.


Some vaccines are recommended or required for China. The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccines for China: typhoid, Japanese encephalitis, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, polio, rabies, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and influenza.

Passport validity:

You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passports must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan. You cannot work on a 90-day "visa free" entry.


If you have a 'British Citizen' or 'British National (Overseas)' passport, you can enter Japan as a visitor for up to 90 days without a visa. You may need to provide evidence of a return or onward ticket.

Inoculation recommendations:

Tetanus. Diptheria. Hepatitis B. Japanese Encephalitis. MMR.

*** If any DIBBer is aware of any differences or variations to any of the above, please feel free to post and advise us.


Passport validity:

Must be valid for six months beyond the end of your intended stay.


Citizens of the UK (with right of abode in the UK) will be granted a free of charge visit visa on arrival in the UAE. No application in advance of travel is necessary. Please note that your passport will be stamped for 30 days upon arrival. All visitors should have a valid return travel ticket and a passport as above.


Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid
Cancer -let's kick it in the butt!

Edited at 12:44 PM.
geoffa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Cancelled because of illness.
Reply With Quote