View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 16, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Backpacking our way around China! (including Disneyland Shanghai) - Updated 21st September

Introductions

The cast for this trip will be myself (Rachel) and my lovely husband John. We have been married now for just over 7 years and have had a fair few adventures together. We are both happier outside built up areas, as these pictures probably show..!

Background

Before I grew accustomed to the delights of high quality accommodation and luxury travel, I was a proper backpacker. This has never quite left me as I am more likely still to be spotted with my backpack rather than a suitcase, unless on a really long trip. However 2016 is to be the year that I very much return to my backpacking past.

Although we are heading to China this trip can be very much blamed upon Disney. Firstly, ever since watching the 360 film in China I knew I wanted to go there some day – the scenery just looked absolutely amazing (in spite of the fact they don’t have any seats in there, and all you want to do is rest your feet after a day hiking around Epcot) Secondly, Disney happened to announce they were to open Shanghai Disneyland and the incredible Tron ride… We also had loads of air miles plus a free upgrade voucher to use and so it made sense to use it on a proper long haul flight. It just had to happen!

This trip has been in the planning for months and months. I first booked the flights back in February, but we had been talking about it way before then, and John actually got me some guidebooks for Christmas. Now I am a pretty confident planner. I have backpacked round USA twice (including East to West coast by Greyhound), travelled round Costa Rica, volunteered in Brazil… but nothing has ever compared to the complexity of planning a trip to China. It’s less than two months to go and despite all this planning (I created a regular planning slot on Sunday evenings during which I have watched countless you tube videos) I have only got as far as working out our itinerary and hostels. I still feel like I have SOOOO much to work out which is a bit intense as work is going to be super-busy, John submits his final PhD thesis a few days before we go… oh and we are also in the process of selling/moving house. Gulp!

Edited at 09:18 PM. Reason: updating
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List