View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by bLaZeR666_uk View Post
Its not the best value but then I have never managed to get upgrades on my flights with Avios when I wanted them.

I used 50k for 1 night in the portofino hotel (again its about £320 per night but I was happy with that as I can always get some more Avios! )

I have 300k of Avios, potentially worth £3000! and I cant seem to spend them on flights when I want them. Really frustrating as I read all the time that people get their upgrades with their Avios
I've been using miles/avios for business class TATL flights for years - initially with Star Alliance and laterly with BA, using 1 or more Amex companion vouchers. I've never had a real problem in obtaining biz class seats over the years.

With BA releasing at least 2 biz class award seats on each flight the key is to jump on acceptable flights as soon as the outbound seats are released - the inbound can be added once released. Some flexibility is required. Last year there were 5 of us travelling. I managed to get 3 biz class seats GLA-LHR-LAS (2 had to travel in PE award seats). I managed to get 5 biz class seats San Jose-LHR-GLA, no problem. Similarly I have 3 biz class award seats GLA-LGW-TPA-LGW-GLA later this year. I was prepared to fly to/from MCO, FLL or MIA if TPA had not been available.

You can certainly do well out of 300K avios, especially if you can use an Amex companion voucher.
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List