View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
Aspergers is what people generally used to call it, some still do.

Most are average or above average intelligence and dont usually have the learning difficulties that usually come with autism, although some will still have additional needs.

I have autism and I could probably label it as high functioning. I hold down a job, Im above average intelligence, but I do struggle socially. Im not socially inappropriate as such, I can hold down a job fine, I just struggle to form relationships with people and maintain them as I have a slight lack of interest and awareness of other people.

Main difficultly with me is I do have problems with loud noises, I dont like loud music, loud tv, bangs and clangs annoy me more than I can explain. But each person with autism is an individual so its probably best to set down ground rules with the lodger and in doing this, find out if there is anything they need to tell you about it. Each person is individual, with me, most people can tell there is something a little different about me, but they wouldnt really be able to point out what, theyd probably just describe me as a bit odd I guess, but thats me.
This is also my daughter.

She also struggles with words sometimes, she needs to know the exact meaning of every word and if she doesnt know 1 then she wont understand the full sentence. She doesnt get sayings - cut from the same cloth, like 2 peas in a pod - we have to actually say what we mean and no improv!

If shes tired shes more difficult, every day after school she needs quiet time to sort things out in her head so dont be surprised if your new lodger takes herself off for quiet time each day

She may need things to stay in the same place in the kitchen for example - dont change your cupboards around

My daughter doesnt get tidy your room I have to tell her where each thing has to go - again its being very specific

If you set rules then my daughter will live by them to the letter

She is also very kind and concerned about how everything she does affects other people, she does get sarcasm and can also joke but only if in the right mood.

I think you are fantastic for giving this girl a chance, if you have Facebook try following the girl with the curly hair, her daily postings might give you some insight
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List