View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yes it will be fine. You’ll get the card fine. Many buy over the phone, including sole resale buyers. If you don’t receive it ring them up and they’ll send another. You’ve also paid via credit card so you have CCA protection.

There’s actually no statement, T&Cs, caveat etc on the Tables in Wonderland site at all that it’s direct only, so this is totally unclear. In fact, now it’s quite the opposite, the old standalone website was removed and the new text was changed compared to before. The site now says show a ‘membership ID’ OR a card when buying it, and a ‘membership ID’ is the white card (SK when you are resale only you will see on your DVC site it says you can click to see your ‘membership ID’. This text changes if you ever buy direct, to say click here for ‘membership card’ and then it shows you a blue digital card instead.) So DVC themselves only using the term ‘membership ID’ in relation to a white card.

So if it wasn’t open to resale, why would they say you can show something that only resale members have, to pick it up? That would be false and misleading advertising. Given it’s on the GB section of the site I’m not sure if you could get Trading Stabdards involved, but I bet the ASA would be happy to take it up. You’ll also notice on that site there is now also nothing about it being direct members only. Here is the text:

“When purchasing in person, please be sure to bring the following:

Disney Vacation Club Members: A valid photo ID and your Disney Vacation Club Membership ID or Card”

Here is the website:

disneyworld.disney.go/en...in-wonderland/

Bottom line is it’s another lucrative item for Disney, $150 is not insubstantial for a card that encourages more spending and only offers a modest discount, such loyalty cards are often given free in the restaurant trade. I’ve got one giving me 15% off at my local (very popular) curry house.

I suspect in reality if you went to pick one up resale only, you’d find people not adequately trained, who were not even aware of the wording on their own website and what ‘membership ID’ means, so I agree, you are much better just calling up to save argument at the desk.

Edited at 07:16 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List