View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 17, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 3

We only had one meal "out" today. Breakfast (again) was cereal/yogurt/fruit from our Garden Grocer order and dinner (such as it was ) was popcorn and candy at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Oh, dear...I'm a bad mother.

Lunch at T-Rex, Disney Springs

We have a Landry’s card (it’s a prerequisite for being on the Dibb, right?) and, because my birthday is in October - we had our $25 credit to use. I let Poot choose between Rainforest or T-Rex; he picked T-Rex.

It was now around 1:00 PM - it was Sunday, too, so the queue was LONG. With our Landry’s card (we didn’t book) we were seated in *about* five minutes. We were seated right next to this little lady and her calf:

I’ve been to T-Rex twice before - but both times we sat in the Ice Cave, so I was unprepared for the sheer number of people walking straight up to our table and taking flash pictures right over my head…

I was disappointed that my go-to meal here (chicken-fried steak) was no longer on the menu - so I asked the waitress for her recommendation. She suggested the “Mastodon Stuffed Chicken” ($20):

This was: marinated chicken breast stuffed with artichoke hearts and creamy spinach, topped with sun-dried tomatoes and lemon butter. It was meant to be served with red skinned mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Poot knows I’m not big on mash, so he asked me if I would ask for waffle fries (for him!) instead. I’m a good mother; I did.

Poot had the kids’ lasagna ($9), which was a smaller portion of this, and came with a drink:

I drank the soda that came with Poot’s meal (as he only drinks water). Our waitress did put his tap water in the cute little T-Rex cup for him, which I appreciated.

My meal was REALLY rich. Despite being quite hungry, I couldn’t make much of a dent in it. I sometimes forget just how HEAVY the food at these sorts of places can be, especially at lunch. I did eat all the veg, though (and we took the chicken back to POFQ).

This early in the holiday, I think I would have enjoyed this meal much more if there had been half the chicken - and it had been served on a nice salad. Don't worry though, I soon adapt () - wait 'til you see me gobble up the beef-fat potatoes at the Yachtsman...

Poot ate all of his meal, and some of the waffle fries that I had ordered for him.

While we were dining, we received a visit from Joel, the restaurant manager. I do appreciate this benefit of the Landry’s card - I was able to voice my disappointment at the lack of chicken-fried steak - lol.

Joel was a lovely chap - from Antigua - and very eager to tell me how much he wished that Antigua and Barbuda was still a British colony.

Antigua and Barbuda:

A shame my (English) husband wasn’t there to hear a West Indian waxing nostalgic about the old colonial days...He eats that sort of thing up.

Now I know my accent is damaged after so many years living abroad...but I am half Irish and half Norwegian.

Ah, well - Joel meant well, I’m sure.

Moving on...we paid the bill - It was around $5 ($30 or so minus the $25 birthday credit). I tipped the waitress 20% (of the original cost, obviously); she was friendly but not smarmy (my favourite sort of waitress).

If you want to read about our night at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Poot's best night of the holiday!)...

The Main Trippie Post for Day 3 (T-Rex and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party) is Here

Edited at 12:08 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List