Old 14 Jun 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Day 2
We were up around 7am to get ready for our breakfast spot at 7.45am (they were doing 3 different seatings due to the current environment).

We were offered tea/coffee/juice and were then able to order off the starter menu - cereal, yoghurt etc and then you could pick either a full English or vegetarian English breakfast. DS had a croissant (super fresh) with some bacon and DH and I both had a full English with toast. It was the perfect size breakfast (although more than we would ever have at home!) and super hot. Milo may have shared a slice of toast too.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, it just felt like a real holiday sitting down and having a leisurely breakfast.

We had planned to spend the morning at Bamburgh Beach, so we could walk further than we had the previous day and DS wanted to throw his American football too. The day was just perfect, sunny, warm and peaceful. There were other people walking their dogs on the beach but there is just so much open space that it never felt crowded. Beach pics!

After a fantastic couple of hours we decided to head back to the park in front of the castle for some ice-cream from Wyndenwell. This turned out to be a good move as the ice-cream was amazing and the setting was stunning. DS got bubblegum I got coconut and dark chocolate (like a bounty) and DH got cookies and cream with vanilla bean and Milo had a vanilla bean too.

We walked back to the hotel via the fairy garden and got a quick pic of Milo in the bluebells. 😍 I’m so pleased they haven’t turned this into a car park as it would be prime real estate!

We left DS and Milo in the room to cool down and rest (and get in some quality screen time) before our lunch reservation- I was so excited for this! We popped to a pub that was just down the road from our Hotel for a quick drink and some adult chill out time. this was so nice and we chatted to a lovely couple on the next table that had also brought their beautiful Cockapoo. 💖 Prosecco for me Cider for DH.

We picked up DS and the furball for our lunch reservation at the Potted Lobster. They serve fresh local seafood and local ingredients and have been featured in the Michelin Guide, they are also dog friendly!

I had Prosecco to drink, DH and DS both had soda. For entrees DH had the seared scallops and I had the potted lobster (of which DS ate pretty much 3/4!). Both of these were just so good, light, delicious and mine was not something that I have ever tried before.

For mains, DH had thick cut code, wild mushroom, pancetta, garlic cream and potatoes (off the specials board), I had the wild Scottish halibut with fresh lobster and truffle mayonnaise, salad and fries (also off the specials board) and DS had the breaded fish goujons with fries, salad and home made tartare. It was all outstanding- all our fish was cooked perfectly and all the accompaniments were so flavourful.

When they offered the dessert menu we thought it would be crazy not to partake. I had the passion fruit Eaton mess and DH had the warm chocolate and salt caramel brownie with vanilla ice-cream. Mine was light and tangy and DH’s was rich and decadent. Both were winners!

We all loved our meals, the service and the setting was excellent and the food was perfect. My favourite meal for the year!

We had checked the tide times for The Holy Island Lindisfarne once we booked the accommodation, so we could plan our days around this. It turned out that the crossing times were from 1.30pm until 10.30pm which timed perfectly for an afternoon visit. The drive over from Bamburgh was super simple and there wasn’t as much traffic as I thought there would be. The causeway itself wasn’t quite what I expected (I’m honestly not sure what I expected) however I would love to go back when the tide is high to see the difference.

The little hut is for people who get caught out by the tide. They abandon their cars and wait in the hut to be rescued. there are quite a few you tube videos for this!

Parking on Holy Island is in a dedicated car park just outside the town centre (about a 5-10 min walk depending on how long your legs are) it is £4.50 for three hours and cash is preferred. We paid up and headed in, it’s not difficult to find your way, you literally just follow the people in front of you.

Milo loved watching the sheep, he just wasn’t tall enough to see over the stone wall on his own #dadlove

The whole castle area is just super impressive, I know my pics don’t show it but there were just so many people around! We were getting hot and foot weary so DH found a pub with a beer garden so we stopped for refreshments. This was like a little oasis in the craziness of the tourist town and we would absolutely go back for meals if we ever visited again.

Once refreshed, we headed off to Lindisfarne Priory, I had not booked tickets (the non prebooked tickets line was huge) and the boys weren’t fussed if we went inside so we just wandered up the path that runs alongside it. So I am starting to run out of adjectives :blush but this was also incredible!

We had a wander through the town on our way out, there were lots of lovely gifts shops, pubs, cafes and even a fancy ice-cream store. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will hopefully be back to take a tour inside the castle. Milo was hot and tired so ended up being carried back to the car by DS (we do take a dog drink bottle with us everywhere but it was a super warm afternoon). I’m sure he thinks he is human.

More pics of our way back over the causeway.

Back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. There weren’t many places outside of Bamburgh that I could find that were dog friendly for dinner. I ended up booking the Apple Inn at Lucker, it had good reviews and were happy for us to bring the furball. Lucker seemed like a nice area, it had lots of holiday style apartments all set around the Apple Inn. Our reservation wasn’t until 8.30pm so we were hungry by the time we arrived. Despite the appearance of lots of staff and very few customers we waited ages for literally everything. The food ended up being good but we just couldn’t understand why it took 20 mins for our drinks order to be taken, in the end it took us nearly 2 hours for a one course meal.

DS and I both had chicken with charred cauliflower, potatoes and crispy kale, it looked awful but it was great and DH had the whale (I mean fish) and chips, this was just average after the amazing fish we had at the Potted Lobster. It was the service that really let the meal down, however we had had a brilliant day and were happy to get back to the hotel for a well earned snooze.

Woohoo our drinks finally arrived!

Poor Milo was so tired he fell asleep on DH’s feet under the table!
Great photos Sparksy - If you look carefully at the photo of your DS playing US football in front of the castle and the one of the castle posted further down if you look carefully you will see a blue clock on the round tower. I am actually staying in the apartment there later in the year (3rd attempt CV willing).

I love the Potted Lobster too - great choice and I have already made my reservation for Dec. There used to be a great restaurant and small hotel called the Mizen Head (just to the left up the hill across the road from your hotel) but it closed due to a rather sad story. The owner of the Mizen Head Alex, 30 died very suddenly 5 years ago at another hotel also in Bamburgh owned by his dad, Ronnie. The restaurant served fabulous fish dishes and did a cracking Sunday Lunch too. I once bouled up to the MH driving a Triumph TR6 - great fun driving up the A1 and the coast to get there.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List