View Single Post
Old 29 May 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so on monday, i finally got round to trying to do pizza on my kamado oven. when i started out it was sunny, but after everything had come up to temperature and was ready to cook, the bank holiday weather kicked in! i need to get me some sory of canopy/gazebo for it!

i used my old 14" pizza stone, which cracked recently, but i glued back together. it didnt stay together very long though, so i've now odered me a 10mm thick 45cm diameter mild steel disc which i will scrub and season for use in the grill in future...

first one could have probably done with a few more minutes to aid browning, but was *lovely*... crispy on the outside, but a soft, chewy crust inside, and a cracker-thin crispy base

since my first post, i've switched from using chopped tomatoes over to passata, and cooking it down so its more like tomato puree. one pack of passata should be enough for 4-6 pizzas. i also used 200g dough balls instead of 250g

toppings were a bunch of bits i had lying around in the freezer. i tend to make a load of bits like this, then bag them up and freeze. today i had sausagemeat balls that id previously rolled and cooked off before freezing (the last pizzas i did, i used fresh sausagemeat. i made the balls out of what was left over), some pepperoni (again, used half a pack last time, so froze the rest), some bbq rib meat i shredded that was leftover from a bbq i had on saturday, some fresh thinly sliced onion, and mozarella/parmesan

next time, i want to get it up to nearer 700 degrees rather than 450-500. i hadn't cleared out the ash trap from saturdays bbq, so airflow wasn't as good as usual. plus, with my new steel arriving shortly, heat retention should be loads better than the old pizza stone so i'll be able to cook more pizzas faster. meaning its nearly time for a pizza party!

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List