View Single Post
Old 30 May 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Your pizza and especially the dough looks fabulous. What is the "peel" you are referring to in your first post?

My attempt is not particularly good, we decided to do half each and I burnt it anyway. I was proud of my freshly made sauce though.
the peel was the cheapest one i could find on amazon - i think i paid a £7 for it, but its up to £10 now...

amazon/Shoze-Alumi...nguag e=en_GB

my 18" pizza steel just arrived at work (not been down to collect it yet) - it cost me £45 for a 45cm 10mm thick steel disc including next day delivery. i just need to scrub it thoroughly with a brillo a few times, and then oil/season it like you do with cast iron
ebay/itm/292825645083

so now i have a bigger steel, im gonna need a bigger peel!
(having two is gonna be handy for speeding up the production line for gatherings too)

your efforts looks reasonable... ive spent years experimenting now and until recently it was my dough that was letting me down... i never got consistent results until i started using the recipe above, and stretching using a proper method rather than a rolling pin

my stretching method is similar to this one

however, instead of stretching the base on the deck like that once youve tapped out a nice crust, i hang it off the back of my hands and rotate (pretend you're a t-rex with your hands!) - i then top with sauce, move it slightly to make sure it isnt stuck to the worktop, top with other stuff, then slide/lift/rotate it onto a peel dusted in course semolina (about 50p a bag from your local asian supermarket or a quid from the ethnic aisle in your local supermarket) before launching as quickly as possible from the peel to the oven.

when i tried building the pizza on the peel, i had no end of issues with it sticking

next update will probably be next week once ive tested my new steel
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List