View Single Post
Old 3 Apr 17, 04:30 AM  
Link to this Post
lallan
Apprentice Imagineer

lallan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Lallan's Family Vacay March/April 2017 Live-ish! Day 7 - Kennedy Space Center - Rocket Launch! 30.

Day 7 - Kennedy Space Centre - Rocket Launch 30.3.17

Walked 4,405 steps (1.8miles/2.9km)

Spent - $134.77

I had received an email on Tuesday about the reschedule of the Rocket Launch: SpaceX Falcon 9 SES-10 to 30th March at 6.27pm. We had already bought our tickets and planned to visit here for the first time.
I had already online before the holiday and the original launch date was set for before we were here so we were over the moon that it had been rescheduled and we would make it

We decided that since the launch wasn't until early evening we would only need a few hours before it to see the other stuff. So a pool/sunbathing morning was had. DH and I were talking about how different the climate is this time of year compared to June/July. It is hot (and getting hotter by the day! ) but not unbearable where you're constantly sweating and the heat feels like it's choking you! And we'd still not felt a single drop of rain. There had been a few welcome gusts of wind but not a single storm, whereas we're used to the summer when you get a proper thunder and lightening heavens open kinda storm on a daily basis! I would definitely recommend visiting this time of year if you can get a good deal.

After some lunch we got ready and after a 40 min drive we arrived at Kennedy Space Centre at 2pm. It's $10 parking here. The boys were given a badge:

First up we went in to the Heroes & Legends Astronaut Hall of Fame. It was a really good presentation. We spent a good 45 minutes in here.

Then over to the Rocket Garden. You feel so small standing underneath these giant things!

The boys wanted to play in the 'Junior Astronauts' play area. They spent quite a while in here. DS3 tends to make friends everywhere we go and he never wants to leave them lol. DH and I were happy to let them play a while as it was under cover and it was a real hot one today. We got x2 dippin' dots and x2 sodas that cost $19.22.

After this we made our way over to the Journey To Mars: Explorers Wanted area. We watched some of the show and had a look around at the Rovers. The boys made some computerized postcards and emailed them to family:

After this we went in to the Space Shuttle Atlantis building. The presentation in here is fantastic. The finale of the show where the stars start to fade and then the real Atlantis space shuttle comes in to view was amazing and I never expected it. The sheer size of it kinda took my breath away.

DH and DS1 & DS2 rode the shuttle launch experience ride. They all enjoyed it.

DS3 and I had a look around the gift shop. I spent $3.85 on 9 postcards, 40 cents each + tax.

We went over to see if we could make the last IMAX show but the guy told us if the rocket launch goes on schedule there's a chance we would miss it so we didn't want to risk it.

We heard someone say the seats at the launch viewing area was filling up pretty early so we thought we'd best go and try and grab a space. We bought some snacks. x2 bags of crisps, 1 large cookie and a coke $12.58.

We got ourselves seated in a good spot with 30 minutes until launch time.

The atmosphere was almost electric. Everyone was buzzing with excitement for the launch. Earlier we were warned that we could have a wait as the launch window was actually 6-8pm with an estimated take off time of 6.27pm but as we sat down they made an announcement that so far so good everything appeared to be on schedule. And it was. It was amazing to watch. It really felt like a complete privilege to witness and the boys loved it.

Watch my video:

The park was closing after the launch we we nipped into the gift shop on the way out where I bought an official souvenir book and a shopping bag for $11.75.

We left the park and had to fill up the tank in the car, $20 done it.

On the way back to the villa we went to Aldi for a few bits and bobs and spent $23.02. We then went in to KFC/Taco Bell for take out $34.35.

We sat watching tv in the villa chatting and reflecting on our day. It had been fantastic, one to remember forever.

Early start tomorrow, meeting my mum and dad at Animal Kingdom for opening at 9am.

Edited at 04:54 AM.
lallan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List