View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 21, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I can't answer all your questions as I moved back to the US 3 1/2 years ago on a full time basis and was already a US citizen.

Buying a car is easy as is registering it in your name and getting a new licence plate. Your are correct that the number changes with a new owner.

There are no car inspections (MOT) in Florida. As mentioned not a good thing IMO.

It is no longer easy for non US residents to get a US licence. You can't just take the test without proving you have the right Visa/Greencard. Not sure if the one allowing a 6 month stay is enough. The test itself is easy.

The main issue is insurance. Costs in Florida are very high. It costs me $1200 for a 2015 Prius. I am the only driver, over 50, have a Florida licence with no tickets and now have a 3 1/2 year no claims history (your UK one doesnt help).

I am not sure the idea of a 6 month lease through a car dealer would work. You would still have the insurance issue and leasing without residency or a US credit history might be impossible.

Edited at 04:36 PM.
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List