Thread: Ice Cream
View Single Post
Old 13 Oct 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

*update*

i made some last night using the full tub of tesco finest custard, a can of condensed milk, half a pint of blue top milk, some sugar, cocoa and dark chocolate chips...

pour the milk into a pan and start warming up. add the cocoa and mix thoroughly, add the chocolate chips and allow to melt, stirring constantly until combined.

add condensed milk and the tub of custard to the pan. mix, then allow to cool at room temp until cool, then store in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill before churning and freezing

what wouldnt fit in the first batch being churned got done in a second load, but the motor on the ice cream maker crapped out! so i got the electric hand whisk out to try to add a load of air whilst chilling down. it almost doubled in size after around 10 mins of whisking.

had a small spoonful of both batches, and they are certainly (slightly) easier to get a spoonful straight out of the freezer, which is nice! so hopefully when we try them properly (tomorrow evening?) after theyve been on the counter for 15 mins, hopefully they will be a lot easier to scoop than my last batch (just double cream, no milk/condensed milk/sugar was added)

ive not done a proper comparison to the original batch yet, but initially, i would say the original tastes creamier... but it is *rock solid* to scoop, and also has a texture a little like a chocolate truffle. kinda "dry" but also smooth/creamy.

will post pics soon.

in the meantime, i need a new ice cream maker. i have a few options...

keep the existing churn bucket and mix by hand

buy the kitchenaid bucket and attachments - they are £80-90 new, but there are some as-new on ebay, so i'm watching a bunch of them to try and get a bargain

buy a whole new machine. and if i did, should i go for one with a built in freezer unit so i dont have to keep the bucket in the freezer for a day or two before making a batch. theres some decent looking cheaper units for £100-130ish, but this cuisinart looks like the mutts nuts...

amazon/Cuisinart-G...f_=as_li_ss_tl

my only wish would be for a machine like the cuisinart, but it also had a heating element so you could temper chocolate in it, rather than just for icecream. if anyone knows of a similar device that CAN do both, please shout up!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List