Thread: Crutch
View Single Post
Old 6 Sep 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pobbypaws View Post
I did Disney and Universal in May with a single elbow crutch. I had no issues at the airport and in fact they were extra helpful most of the time. I had to put it through with the trays at security and they gave me a wooden walking stick to go through the scanner with. No issues on the plane, it either went in the overhead locker or when it didn't fit they stored if for me and brought it back each time I needed it.

In Disney I was able to take it with me on most of the rides. The CM's were really helpful and let me know what to do with it. Where I couldn't take it on the ride they took it from me and it was ready and waiting as I got off the ride. They also offered to slow down rides etc. to make it easier to get on the continuously moving rides.

Universal was also great (although I didn't do the 'big' rides) and again just let me know what I needed to do.

There were no issues with park security - they either checked the crutch separately or just waved me through the side of the scanner.

I did have to relent and hire a wheelchair for a few park days. I'd been managing perfectly well with one crutch for about 6 months, with quite a bit of walking, when I went in May (knee injury last year). For the first few days I was determined that I was going to walk, by day 4 I was really struggling as it is just so much walking. I ended up using a wheelchair between 'lands' or 'areas' of the park and then using the crutch to walk around, before getting back in the chair to move to the next one.
I’m definitely gonna try for the first day and use that as a barometer for what I can manage.

It’s just me and my friend so we’ve got no kids which means we can take the whole holiday at our own pace.

I know that assistance is there at Disney for if and when I need. I think animal kingdom and Epcot will be my biggest challenges.