View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 3 Boston freedom trail.. or ‘revolution’ (by the Beatles).

We were up at 6 and out at 8, having slept well. The day was to turn into a cloudless 31’c sweat fest. Still, not to worry it’s only a 2.5 mile stroll with plenty to see.

It was a single man recce first (as it was still cool), to find long wharf (for tomorrow) and then Rowe’s wharf for tonight before returning to get the family moving. We were in the old town at Quincy Market for 9am. This is a 100yd long Hall that is full of fast food outlets, selling Gelatto, Lobster, Crab, Scallops, Pizza, Bagels, Cake, Donuts, Hogies, Waffles.. anything. Not cheap, but an amazing choice.

I was going to finally photograph some food.. namely my Steak and cheese Hogie at Quincy’s . It didn't last that long though.

On the contrary, Matts breakfast selection, A green monster (mint ice cream), proved rather a challenge.

We were at the start of the freedom trail on Boston common for 1000. From there you just ‘follow the red brick road' (or rather line), as it winds it’s way through Boston and ends up at USS Constitution. (We didn’t bother with the Bunker hill monument). It was a fascinating, absorbing and informative route that covered all of the significant sites in Boston. I had previously purchased a Ladybird sized book on the trail. I highly recommend it as it covered everything in just the right amount of detail.

The superb Freedom trail guide

And it’s fold out map (heavily annotated by me).

Massachusetts State House with its fascinating gold leaf roof.

I should be a reporter. Last year it was the drugs bust on Santa Monica pier (see trippie ‘California N to South at Easter), whilst this year it is the topless woman getting arrested outside the Massachusetts State House.. (far more fascinating than any gold leaf roof clad by Paul Revere). At first I thought it was a Freedom Trail re-enactment, but then realised that she wasn’t in 1776 dress.. or undress. Those knickers would appear to be of cheap nylon! Perhaps my skills in my former Police career have not deserted me!

A Fire Engine.. because they look so much more impressive than ours. Blues and twos going.

The scene of the Boston massacre where 5 people were shot by the British Army, sparking the American Revolution.

A statue of a guy called Paul Reveire who was by all accounts an accomplished point to point Jockey.

The magnificent USS Constitution.

A ‘stern’ view

Matt’nDan

In the early evening, it was just around the corner to the ‘sail loft’, a cafe bar , right on the water and remarkably for Boston, realistic pricing.
4 x bottomless sodas and 4 entrees came in at $92. The food was very good quality and in typical American portions. An appetiser would be wasted.

Said ‘Sail loft’.

And now, the evening 1.5hr cruise. ‘Be there 1830 to sail at 1900’, they said. Well, the 200 passengers were, but the boat was initially not. We eventually sailed at 1930 when it turned up and the cruise shortened to an hour.. no refund, no apology.. so no tip.

The trip was really good and the commentary excellent.

USS Constitution preparing to fire at dusk.

Sunset over Charlestown

Ditto.

Matt.

21800 steps for the day.

Edited at 11:33 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List