View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 16, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 3: Gallo Nero

95 7th Ave S.

There was no plan for dinner this evening. We found ourselves in Greenwich Village having walked the Highline. Andy was desperate for the loo about half way so we got off the Highline and popped into a random place called Death Avenue Brewing Company on 10th Ave for a drink. It was so pretty and intimate inside and smelled absolutely amazing but they hadn't started dinner service yet.

Look how pretty.

It looked even more cool at night with lots of candles.

Anyway, so later on that night after exploring the village we decided just to pick a random independent restaurant that looked nice. It was a risky tactic.

We spotted Gallo Nero. (sorry, awful picture).

Here's a better pic I stole from Google.

We were seated straight away. It was only a small & cosy little place.

Throughout the evening the staff were very friendly and our server couldn't do enough for you. He started off recommending us some wine which we ordered and enjoyed thoroughly.

Then we got bread & a delicious oil dip.

For mains, again our server asked us what kind of food we liked and recommended some dishes. Andy went for a rack of lamb dish of the specials board. I don't have any details of what was on it.

I'm sorry the pictures aren't great, it was quite dark inside the restaurant.

It was no problem that he wanted it serve with fries instead of what normally came with it. He could not rave about this dish enough. He said it's the best lamb dish he'd ever had. The meat was super tender and there was plenty of it (not mostly fat as it can be).

I had a chicken dish with proscuitto, a lemon wine sauce, asparagus & rice.

It looks hideous I will admit but tasted great. I really enjoyed it.

Overall I think our risk paid off, we had a lovely dinner & a nice evening. It was fun just to go somewhere we'd never heard of. Usually on our trips I research restaurants and have a list to try.

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List