View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 09, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Spencem & Angelmouse Live(ish) in LA Day 5

Wednesday 24th Dec - Day 5

Woke to spotty cold rain and a forecast of heavy rain for later. The plan for today called for all of us including our friends to go to Knotts Berry Farm today, but Californians are like of rain how we are of snow in southern England so only Dave came from the local team. To be fair we have all been sharing a cold around and Dave's eldest would not have benefited from a day in the cold rain. Nor would I, but I have a 13 year old son who was promised a coaster-feast like no other this holiday and so far the nearest he has got is his mum's assault on a kerb in the the thunder tank.

According to the time stamp we were in the park gates at 10:24am, so not too bad. After a brief lapse of 'Theme Park Commando' training from my two as they restroomed and put money in pressed penny machines (much to Dave's amusement) we were into the first ride, Ghostrider, a monster of a wooden roller coaster. Well when I say we I mean me and son, Dave's view is that wood is for burning not building coasters out of. He says we once built vehicles out of wood (and there are many fine examples at Knotts) but we have advanced to steal, it is about time we did the same for coasters.

We waited for three whole ride cycles to get on, Californian's cower under the beds at the thought of rain so no locals remember? WOW what a ride, I had ridden this a few years back at night and had great memories. I was not disappointed by riding in the day at all, it seems the fastest woody I've ever seen. Son loved it also.

I had followed the building of Pony Express online last year and was keen to try it out so we headed there next. For this coaster you sit on a horse instead of in a seat, as seen below. The ride is great, if far to short.

We then walked around toward the front of the park again so Angelmouse could pick up an ECV. As we did Dave mentioned a runaway mine train we were passing. Thinking of the Alton Towers ride we went on, however when the train pulled into the station I was a little shocked to see a steam engine and open carts with simple benches down each side.

Turns out this is a mine train more in the Blackpool Pleasure Beach mould when you take a gentle and humorous trip round a gold mine filled with animatronics. A fine ride, just not what we were thinking of.

Once off we passed the very impressive real steam train and split with Angelmouse heading for the EVC rental and us three guys heading for Silver Bullet.

We waited all of five minutes to board the fantastic Silver Bullet.

There really was no one else in the park today, ok it was a little chilly but so far the predicted rain had not turned up and we were having a great time. I was really feeling the hard turns on the rides with it hurting all around my ribs and my head taking much longer to clear after the rides than normal, but this is what we came out here for and what my boy had been looking forward to all year.

To give Angelmouse a chance to ride something and me a chance to recover Dave suggested Jaguar next, a coaster his 7 year old loves to ride.

We all enjoyed it's gentle charms and were thinking of lunch when we came off, until we noticed Montezooma's Revenge next door. This is a launched coaster that goes into a loop, up a hill until it runs out of puff, slides backwards back through the loop and station up another hill behind the station before coming back to a halt in the station. It is exactly the same ride as something called the Thunder Looper that was at Alton Towers back in the early '90s. I had literally carried Anglemouse onto this there years back and so was amazed when she not only wanted to ride but announced afterwards that she loved it. While waiting to launch Dave told us he had once ridden this 33 times in a day as a kid.

Continued Below...

Edited at 06:10 PM.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List