View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Ref powerline adapters. I believe some of them have issues if you have different mains ring for each floor so if, for example, your son is on the top floor and the router is on the ground floor they may be on seperate mains rings which may cause problems
Nope, old wives tail. Provided they are on the same board there is no issue with them being on different rings on the same board. Rare for a house to be on multiple consumer boards.

My DD's Xbox is plugged into a powerline adapter and gets sub 12ms latency all of the time. About 1ms more than being directly plugged into the router and no different to being plugged into my managed switch.

The WiFi mesh is slightly slower than the powerline as far as latency goes, but still sun 12ms.

If the challenge is to fix the Xbox issue then get the free powerline adapter from Virgin. It will solve the issue and latency will not be an issue.

No need to over think it, drill holes in walls or spend money on mesh networks.

I have done all of the solutions mentioned for various reasons, creating private networks, Vpns, guest networks, deploying quality of Service etc. This one is a case of keep it simple ...

Edited at 10:54 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List