View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 17, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

Chicago

Travel day
We are staying at the Radisson at Manchester airport the night before we fly so hopefully we'll have a relatively stress free morning.I've pretty much convinced myself to buy lounge access as terminal 3 isn't supposed to be that good and we don't have breakfast included in our room rate.

Our American airlines flight direct to Chicago leaves around noon and we'll be in the air for approx 8 hours. I think it's a pretty basic flight with no seatback screens so need to sort out some films for the tablet. I'm hoping ds will be ok on the flight...he's flown to Spain a couple of times with no problem but 8 hours is a long time for a fidget!

Once we are through immigration we'll get the El to our hotel in the loop and head out to see the Bean and Cloud Gate to give ds a run around. Then depending on how tired we are we'll either have a wander round or find some food and drink before heading back to the hotel.

Excited about: being back in the US after 10 years
Slightly nervous about: long lines at immigration...ds doesn't wait well... and neither do we after an 8 hour flight!

Day 1
Architecture river tour and Chicago Tribune building followed by afternoon at Lincoln park zoo.

Day 2
Either Sears tower or John Hancock tower in the morning, haven't decided which one yet, followed by finding the start of Route 66 sign then off to Union Station to catch the Southwest chief.

Excited about: ds very excited about Dylan's candy store, I'll be in CVS straight away...how sad is that! Also need to recreate a classic ER style walking down the stairs from the El station shot! In fact I'd better start rewatching ER...only got 14 weeks to go

Slightly nervous about: walking up stupidly early with jet lag