View Single Post
Old 3 Apr 18, 06:10 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 6 The R Reagan library... ( I couldn't find an appropriate song for this one)

It was cloudy and the temperature had dropped off from 81 the day before to 58 degrees (rising to 68 by mid afternoon. This was clearly not what I had paid for!

We headed straight to the coast at a Pismo beach, stopping 10 minutes for a 'looksee' and then down the Pacific Highway, past Vandenburg AFB before eventually cutting inland to the Simi Valley in order to see the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. The Highway had started off unspoilt and rural and remained so until around 20 miles before Simi Valley, when it became rather busy.

What followed was very much a pilgrimage for me! I joined the Army in 1977 and therefore President Reagan is very relevant to my life.
The Reagan Library is situated on the top of a hill with glorious views all around. It can only be described as a huge and fitting tribute to 'The Gipper'. $80 for the four of us sounds a lot, but actually represented very good value. The Library charted the life of the Ron and Nancy from childhood until death with literally hundreds of important artifacts and explanatory boards. There were numerous interactive displays and short loop films as well as a large number of very helpful volunteer guides. Highlights included a large glass fronted and triple floored hangar containing his cavalcade, presidential helicopter and Air Force One with full access to both Aircraft. A poignant ending to the tour was the Grave of Ronald and Nancy Reagan.
To me, this was the highlight of our vacation, thus far.

A shamelessly borrowed image of Nancy Reagan at the grave of the great man. She has of course, now joined him there. R.I.P Ron and Nancy.

A view of the atrium that contains Cavalcade, Presidential jet and Presidential helicopter.

Following the Reagan visit, it was onwards again for an hour of extremely heavy traffic before arrival at the Hilton Gardens at Valencia. A noisy location, close to the I5, but also only 0.9 miles from Magic Mountain 6 Flags.
Dinner was at the Red Lobster across the road, (very good) and now, its wine o'clock (again).

Edited at 10:23 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List