View Single Post
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Day 4 continued.
We left the turtle hospital and continued our journey to Key West.
We arrived slightly early so went for a wander up Duval Street until our room was ready.
We stayed at the southernmost Guest House which is thoroughly recommend.
It’s quite a lot cheaper than the neighbouring hotels, there’s no resort fee or parking charge and it’s spotless.
Completely spotless.
I really don’t care how sad I sound but I stood in the shower admiring the shower head for quite some time! 🤣
There wasn’t a single sign of dirt anywhere.

Anyway, as I’ve said, I love key lime pie so we headed up to Kermit’s for a frozen Key lime pie dipped in chocolate 😋
These were really good but I do think freezing drasticaly changes the texture of the pie filling and makes it less tart too.

After these, we headed back to the hotel to check in, shower and change so that we could go back out again.
It’s so, so hot!
DS cooled down in a beer fridge briefly 😆

We had quite a few ideas for places to go for dinner but there was just so much choice that we floundered for ages!
We headed up to Mallory Square for sunset and considered the Cuban place but decided on the Flaming Bouy Filet Co.

We saw a really cool floating tiki bar whilst we were in Mallory Square!

We made it to The Flaming Bouy and it looked NOTHING like the picture and it had a weird smell so we gave it a miss and walked to The Eaton Street Fish Market instead.
I like places like this.
It’s basically a fishmonger and they have a small, simple menu where you pick from the counter.
I think it was a gas station once upon a time. Certainly looks like it.
There’s a small bar stool arrangement inside and then about 4 tables outside.

We ordered way too much!
We had a spinach artichoke and crab dip, buffalo shrimp, grouper tacos, fries and 2 lobster rolls between us.
OH had a beer,DS a mandarin Jaritos and I opted for a naff Malibu pre-mixed drink!
It actually wasn’t bad!
The food was really good!
Simple but delicious.
We’d definitely go again.

By the time we’d finished up there we decided we needed to go to bed ready for our very early start in the morning.
We did stop in a couple of galleries on the way and also Kilwins for some fudge 😋
We had chocolate with coconut and a caramel turtle I think?
Well, half a slice of each as I figured DS would throw up otherwise!
I forgot to take a photo but it’s delicious fudge. Not dry and grainy at all.
Oh,and we stopped at Circle K for a few snacks. There’s no food or even running water at Fort Jefferson so OH grabbed all manor of random crap 🤷
We’d intended to get sandwiches in Publix but forgot so we’d just have to survive!
There were sandwiches in Circle K but we were really quite put off by the expiry dates... sept 3rd 🤔
It was the 17th Aug 😱

Edited at 03:45 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List