View Single Post
Old 27 Oct 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyingforth
Earning More Ears

Next stop the Rhine for two days (if we stick to Europa Park plan A) and two nights
I’ve been wanting to visit the Rhine ever since my mil came back from a Rhine cruise and told us how gorgeous it was with all the castles along the way.

We don’t have any firm plans yet but what I do know is that boats go along regularly and you can hop off at towns to visit and then catch trains back. The trains go along both sides of the banks and are relatively cheap and quick, making it very easy to navigate.

During our two days I would like to visit Rudesheim and take the cable car.

A good thing to do apparently is to get off at the top and walk to a place above the next town where you can take the chair lift down and then the boat back to Rudesheim.

I would also like to visit Bacharach which is famous for its romantic view of the river through the ruined church window.

St Goar is supposed to be very good for touristy shopping with all the cuckoo clocks and steins.

My mum recommended Boppard (need to look into that one more)

I’d also like to see Koblenz and the Kaiser Willem memorial where the Rhine meets the Mosel.

And we have to see a castle. Rick Steves (who, unlike the rest of my family, I totally adore) says his favourite castle in the whole of Europe is Burg Eltz so we might go there (us and bus loads of Americans probably! )

We’ve booked a hotel in Oberwesel for our stay.

It’s not actually in town which isn’t very handy and not what we wanted really, but we couldn’t go past it as the reviews are all 5 stars. It is supposed to be fabulous for traditional German food and when I read a review talking about the woman who gets up at 4am every day to make the breakfast cakes, I knew we couldn’t go anywhere else!

So that’s the beginnings of our Rhine adventure sorted – plenty of rivers, riesling, and rouladen hopefully!

Edited at 02:00 PM.
Sallyingforth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List