Thread: Australia 2022
View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Budmiester View Post
Well with our trip to Florida in April this year well and truly scuppered DW and I have decided to go big(ish) and head for Australia in March 2022. We are planning on Sydney than flying down to Melbourne then driving back via Canberra. Has anyone done something similar ? Looking for ideas where to stop off on the way back and intend in taking 7 days to get from Melbourne to Canberra.

For a one of Australia trip, I would really want to get some of Queensland in, it is the most interesting state (IMO). I wouldn’t bother with Brisbane though, in south Queensland I would stick to places like Noosa or Maroochydore, but I think FNQ is where I would want more time.

I lived in Australia for five years. I have never driven Melbourne to Sydney but I have driven both ways between Canberra and Sydney and also done some road trips down the southern NSW coast.

I suspect that seven days will be too long to spend driving from Melbourne to Canberra. Although I haven’t done it, I have done other long road trips around Australia and there is often not much in-between. I would recommend a day in Ballarat and Sovereign Hill, it is 1.5 hours from Melbourne although unfortunately it is the opposite direction to Canberra.

I have driven from Canberra to Sydney and opposite both inland and over and along the coast, we have done other trips down the south NSW coast too. If I were taking the coastal route, places worth a look are Batemans Bay, Mollymook, Jervis Bay, Shellharbour. Rick Stein has a gorgeous lodge and restaurant in Mollymook called Bannisters, we once stayed here for a couple of nights. If you do decide to head east to take the ocean road, make a breakfast stop at the Outsider Cafe in Captains Flat, it is amazingly quirky, more so for being in the middle of nowhere, and the food is good too.

If you decide to go inland and want to take your time, Goulburn might be the best place for an overnight base whilst you explore. We have always enjoyed a stop in Kangaroo Valley, which actually would not be much of a diversion if you were driving the coastal route either. Other than that, as you pass through the small towns it is worth stopping to stretch your legs and see old fashioned Australia, Picton is one I recall having a wander round.

Edited at 09:01 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List