View Single Post
Old 1 Dec 17, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridasun View Post
The insurance was in place before the condition was discovered so the insurer cannot refuse cover or charge an additional premium. However, they will try it on as so may people do not know there rights. Call, speak to a manager. Remind them this condition was found AFTER policy inception and remind them that the Insurance Ombudsman will not agree to them trying to wriggle out of this. They will remind the insurer that you took out insurance to cover you for anything that happened after you booked the holiday and AFTER policy inception. What is the point of insurance if you pay for it and they then say "actually I don't think I'll cover that one" utter rubbish. Get on the phone tell them to resolve this immediately or you will be logging a complaint with the Insurance Ombudsman and then call the ombudsman. Insurers make me so angry when they do this. I see it on here a lot with people being charged more when they have an injury or illness after they have already paid to be covered.
I had a chat with Citizens Advice and also the Insurance Ombudsman.
Both were saying that I need to scour the T&C's of the policy to see what it says. I did this and found the following:

Your Travel Insurance policy is there to cover you for any sudden and unforeseen accident, illness, loss or damage which is beyond your reasonable control, and you would have been asked when you paid your premium if you were aware of any circumstances which could possibly result in you having to make a claim; so you must also tell us if anything happens between the date you bought the policy and the start of your trip that might mean that you have to claim on the policy. The sort of things you need to tell us about are:  a change in your health, which has caused you to visit your GP, or if you have been referred to a clinic or hospital for tests or treatment.  if your GP changes your medication or sends you for tests at a clinic or hospital If we feel that anything you tell us might increase the chances of a claim, we may ask you to pay an additional premium, or we might change the policy terms. If we feel that the increased risk is too great, we might tell you that we cannot cover you at all. It is important that you tell us, because if you don’t you could find that your claim is limited or turned down, and we don’t want that to happen. We want you to have the right cover.

So...

My daughter had her MRI this morning, we have a follow up appointment with the Consultant on Weds morning...

At this point I am thinking we should wait and see what Weds brings and take it from there. If she is diagnosed with something horrid we would not travel anyway. If she is diagnosed with something minor perhaps the insurance company will then cover her as she would no longer be 'un-diagnosed'...
If it's something or nothing we can advise the insurer of this.

So I haven't called the insurer again at this point as I am thinking I may as well wait til Weds to see what facts we have at that point...

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List