View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I did reply to your earlier posts, you might recall we had a Labrador with similar symptoms. We had allergy testing with her at a huge animal facility in Newmarket which we were referred to by our vet. They developed a serum for her. I can’t remember the exact costs but we think around £2,000. This was in 2008 ish. We then had to learn to inject this. I think first it was every few days, then weekly then once per month. This was covered under our pet insurance. Unfortunately it didn’t get the symptoms under control but we were glad we tried it. The only thing that worked for her was a daily steroid and 2 piriton in am and 2 in pm. We agonised about giving her a daily steroid we were worried about the long term prognosis and spent a good few months fiddling with the dose so she would have the lowest dose possible. We tried one every other day, half a day etc. Anyway this all developed around 18 months old and she lived to nearly 11. We took the view we would prefer her to have a happy shorter life than to be itchy all the time and get infections all the time. The vets did recommend a treatment called atopica which I think does something to the dogs immune system. This was a new drug at the time and would have exceeded our insurance levels quite quickly, we had a young family and not too much spare money so we declined that drug. Subsequent reading about atopica I think the side effects are quite great so I’m glad we didn’t use it.

I really feel for you it’s miserable for the dogs. You will find something that eases things for him I’m sure.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List