View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 17, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
The tale of the French McDonalds made me laugh. I recently saw a man eating KFC with a plastic fork and knife. I thought it was adorable. R.C. would surely approve. Nik (I never know what to call him, boyfriend sounds immature, partner sounds too mature, and as we're not married he's not officialy 'OH', so we'll go with his actual name) likes watching U.S. fast food vloggers and it was through this he discovered the Baconator. I don't know how he tolerates these videos, they cover the entire experience, right down to how many napkins they were given. So tedious!

You are going to love the buffet breakfasts on the cruise! You'll have so many sandwich options open to you, it will be like you're in Subway. My favourite is using the English muffins to make a breakfast sandwich, sausage cut in half, some egg (I know, I know!) and some cheese from the deli counter Yum yum.

Thank you Poot for the book recommendations. I have added them both to my Kindle. Has Poot read 'The Desperate Journey'? It's a children's historical fiction novel about a family's experience during the Highland Clearances. They immigrate to Canada, IIRC. I read it in primary school and I think he'd enjoy it.
I don't think I've had Kentucky Fried Chicken in thirty years - I wouldn't have guessed they had cutlery! I'll tell you a secret - R.C. keeps two packs of "camping cutlery" in the glove box of his car (he's always prepared)!

And I am imagining that since Nik has no "c" - it must be short for Nikolai - and that you get to hear someone with a sexy Russian accent call you zolotse. You lucky girl - hubba, hubba.

But there are FAST FOOD VLOGGERS? WHAT? Nyet, nyet, friend Nikolai - I know you can find better things to do with your time! I can't believe we've mentioned the Baconator so many times in this thread - Poot was both excited and worried to hear that it has a fan up in Scotland. "That had a LOT of grease, Mother."

Our cruise is a long one - I think I better stay FAR away from breakfast sandwiches, or I won't be able to fit into my clothes once we get to New York! I actually take a fair amount of exercise - but I really have to watch my carbs now that I am over 40. It seems rather unfair that BREAD is now a "treat", but what can you do? I am hoping that at least the Greek yogurt on the ship will be the tasty European kind - rather than disgusting American ectoplasm.

I'd never heard of "The Desperate Journey" - but Poot loves historical fiction (as do I) - so I have ordered it to his Kindle. He thanks you for the suggestion, as do I! Fingers crossed for a happy ending for those poor children...

I can't remember if you know that I'm an historian (by training - those degrees haven't been much use in my career in FINANCE, sigh) - but I really struggle to read a lot of "Celtic" (for lack of a better word) history. You know I'm from the North of Ireland - and whether it's Irish history or Highland history (or...) I have a hard time not getting all worked up. I remember going to Culloden when I was about twenty (with my same friend who wants the Dutch athletes in clogs) - and I could barely even breathe. The very ground still just...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List