View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 16, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

It took about 30 minutes to walk back to our destination for lunch – Juniors.

It was a sizeable menu to peruse

We had arrived around 1145 and walked straight in . It’s a really cool diner. We had a great server and we liked the atmosphere.

Andy had Something Different

Potato cakes, beef brisket , mushroom gravy and apple sauce

He said it was amazing

Jamie and Nick had bacon cheeseburgers with onion rings

They said better than Shake Shack – at the very end of the holiday , these were rated as best burgers of the whole trip – just edging out Hash House.

Connor had Chicken Deluxe - grilled chicken with cheese and bacon

I had pulled pork with crispy onion straws

Connor and I decided to share so my plate ended up like this

It was all nice - maybe too much cheese on the chicken , but still tasty. I think my pork was the better of the two

I had the strawberry cheesecake

Which defeated me and Andy finished it off ! I would have had it to go but we were off to Central Park next and I knew it would be sloppy goo in nano seconds.

The bill $123 before tip, $143 after

It was 1245 by now and there were murmurings of tiredness

Which I confess to not taking notice of ...

Today was our only chance to see Central Park so I didn’t care if we just set foot in and left, we were definitely going there.

Unfortunately the trip turned out much longer than expected due to our outstanding navigation and lack of signage !

What better way to walk off a belly full of burgers and cheesecake than a yomp in 100 degree heat.

Evil mother

It was really hot – the subway was sweltering

It was sweatier than a camel's armpit

And only marginally more pleasant smelling

We took the subway to 57th Street and it was a short walk to Central Park

Earlier that morning there had been an unfortunate incident with a young man stepping on a bag that had a homemade firework on it – so we were on heightened vigilance

Which meant that Andy couldn't ignore the large blue holdall that had been left outside the toilets and appeared completely unattended.

Yes maybe someone had just nipped to the loo but for goodness sake , it’s the 4 July, some dude was injured here this morning, its been all over the news about possible terror incidents and you leave a naffing big bag unattended ?

The boys laughed at Andy's insistence on reporting it – but he was adamant and he found someone to call it in to be checked – amazing how many people simply walked by

Anyhow, civic duties discharged we set off

That’s Andy in the background in full civic mode

I had a park map but found it really hard to determine where we were

I really thought there would be more signs ( I mean any) pointing the way to the notable landmarks

Eeesh and it was hot hot hot

It was lovely seeing everyone having their picnics and lounging about – although we thought there might be more of a carnival feel with it being 4th July – you wouldn’t have known it was.

I guess we had expected more “ razamatazz” for the holiday

One of The Ghostbusters buildings

We walked for ages , completely missing the path to Strawberry Fields.

We stopped for some cold drinks and were given directions – back the way we had come

Sigh

The troops were flagging

Despite having a long list of things to see around the Park , we agreed we would make it to Strawberry Fields and call it a day – it just wasn’t fun , it was too hot and we were not enjoying it

We finally made it

We exited and found ourselves at a different subway – with it being a bank holiday a different timetable was operating and there was no 3 train which would have been perfect for us.

We took a C train to 39th and then got a D train – but didn’t realise it was an express which didn’t go near our stop

Right about now one of our party needed the rest room – of course

We found ourselves a 4th Street – basically in Greenwich and a damn long walk back to the hotel.

Not good

After a bit of pro crastinating, tutting , cussing and “ you work it out then “ type conversatons, we did the sensible thing- and hailed a cab

And it was only $6 to the hotel – why didn’t we just do that earlier !

The boys headed off to their room while we popped across to the Smith for a drink.

And we pondered what to do about the Fireworks

The teens had already said they were not fussed/ really didn’t want to hang around for hours waiting to see them.

We had been in touch with Andy's cousin who lives in Long Beach and there was a good chance she and her husband would come into the city but weren’t planning to see the Fireworks from anywhere near Brooklyn or the southern port areas.

I had looked up a number of rooftop bars that offered good viewing but they either had a whopping fee or needed to be booked in advance – and you had to get there at like 6pm , some 3 hours before the event

Plus of course they were still predicting it was going to tiddle down.

Andy's Cousin called and said they would be in town around 8.30 – coming in to Penn Station so we agreed to meet in a bar near there and play it by ear.

The teens opted for another McDs and pizza from the place round the corner – they wanted to stay in and watch the spectacle on TV – the heat and walking had definitely taken its toll, they looked knackered.

We made our way up to 34th around 6.30

This was one the more off-putting sights – and meant that many parts of the city just smelt horrible

Just piles and piles of rubbish on the sidewalk, day and night

We wandered around here for a bit

And pondered on which Irish bar to choose from on 37th Street

There were a few to choose from …

We ended up in O ‘Reillys , just at the end of that blurry shot

It was totally dead – as were most places – until after the fireworks when it got much busier

I had a chicken quesadilla which was delicious

Andy’s Cousin and her husband arrived about 9 – they were absolutely drenched just on the short walk from 34th and we felt vindicated at being feeble and watching the fireworks on TV – it did look fabulous – truly worthy of the word spectacular.

We had a few fun hours catching up – her husband is an ex NY Firefighter so he had many stories and was such a funny storyteller – he has lived in NY all his life so was able to tell us about so many places.

It was great fun – it had been very last minute and we left around midnight promising that we must meet again – a definite reason for us to go back.

It was raining heavily as we left so we caught a cab for $10 to the hotel dropping into bed just around 1am.

The 4th July night really had been a washout

I am sure the late night and amount of beverages will have no effect on our early start to see the Highline tomorrow

Which you can find right HERE

Edited at 01:42 PM.
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List