View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 21, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
iheartwdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Day 10: Departing, Detroit and Dilly Dalliers

Day 10: Departing, Detroit and Dilly Dalliers
Friday 27th April 2019

It was a sad morning, we were going home today . Our flight home was earlier than normal, as we were flying back indirect. This meant we didn’t really have any time to go to the parks or to shop, so instead we had a lie in and got up at 8:00am, which was the latest all holiday.

We showered and went down to breakfast at the hotel restaurant. As we had booked with Virgin Holidays, we were given some free breakfast vouchers. I made myself some waffles, which excitingly had an RI for Rosen Inn in the centre. These were covered in syrup and were very good. I had them with some fresh fruit to balance them out and make them appear slightly healthier .

Nathan made multiple trips to the hot buffet and filled up on copious amounts of bacon, sausage and egg. This is one of the many plates he consumed…

After we finished packing the last of our bits, we checked out and headed to the airport around 11:00am. Despite checking the luggage weight the previous night, we ended up being a little over and had to leave some half empty toiletries so that we weren’t over.

We filled up the car with petrol near the airport, returned the car, checked in and then mooched around the shops to kill time. The Disney shop had a new re-fit and was looking rather pretty.

The security wait was excruciating . It was so long and despite security verbally walking down the queues and shouting out instructions and reminders, there were still people that were not ready when it was there turn to go through. There were so many dilly dalliers it took over half an hour to get through and we were losing our patience. One family, stopped half of the line for 20 minutes alone, as they didn’t seem to have any idea what was going on or what they were doing . The fact we were going home and not leaving for an amazing holiday, probably made the wait even more unbearable.

We had just enough time to grab a drink for the plane before boarding. It was a very small Delta plane and the flight took 2 hours to get to Detroit.

The reason our flights were so cheap, was because we now had a 6 hour layover at the airport . We’d planned ahead and decided to have a nice relaxed meal at Longhorn’s to kill some of the time, so this is where we headed first.

I had a massive and delicious ribeye steak with fries ($23), it was very well cooked and Nathan helped me to finish. Nathan went for one final burger, a cheeseburger for $12. I had a Shirley Temple, as I love them so much and Nathan had a diet coke. For some reason, the waitress also brought out extra fries, which made Nathan very happy .

We walked off our meal by going from one end of the terminal to another. It was a super long terminal and took 20 minutes each way?! We also had a look in some of the shops and picked up some more drinks for our next flight.

Fully exercised, we found some comfy egg chair things and settled down to watch some Netflix. Fortunately, our flight left on time at 10:25pm. The long layover wasn’t too bad and although not ideal, we could be tempted to do it again for the right price.

Our flight was just under 7 hours and despite not being hungry, we both said yes to a meal. I think out of curiosity and so we had something to do. I went for the chicken and truffle mash, Nathan had the Thai chicken salad. They were a sound meh, with the chicken in both being pretty rubbery. They were served with huge slabs of cheese, which made me very happy. Nathan liked the crownie (cookie and brownie hybrid) dessert, which he said was more of a biscuit.

I managed to snooze on and off for the rest of the flight. Nathan said he watched a highly dubbed Predator film. For breakfast we were served a honey yoghurt, with a peach muffin, a slice of cheese and a chocolate covered mint imperial - why such random flavours?! We both kind of just picked at the trays and didn’t really eat much.

Our flight arrived early and had to circle for a bit before landing. Security was pretty quick and we managed to find our taxi driver home pretty easily. Before we knew it, we were home and being snubbed by our cat Franklin for abandoning him!

We had such an amazing holiday and are desperate to go back! I’m going to include one final summary instalment of our highs, mehs and future plans (wishful thinking maybe?!).

I hope you enjoyed and apologies again for it taking such a long time to finally upload.

Laura Xx
iheartwdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List