View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 17, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I won't bore you with the details of what I ate during the day at home! We'd booked into the Holiday Inn at Glasgow Airport the night before as usual. We were given a Club biscuit at check in because I'm a member of the IHG Rewards Club (not sure why as I never get any rewards!).

We also brought some Azera Latte "to go" cups, a pack of mini yum yums and a couple of Greggs sausage rolls left over from lunch.

We had several choices for dinner - the airport which would be the Wetherspoons landside, the hotel restaurant or a taxi/bus to Braehead. We wandered across to the Wetherspoons at the airport and I found the menu incredibly lacking in variety. We had handily seen the hotel restaurant menu as it was plastered all over the lifts so I told Marie I'd prefer that. They had given us a 10% off coupon at check in as they did last year plus they were doing a meal deal of 2 for £39.99 including starter, main and a glass of wine. While at the airport we popped in to Tesco Express for a pint of milk and "dessert" in the form of two choux buns which were on special because they expired that day.

We headed back to the room only to discover the restaurant didn't open until 6pm and it was only 4.45pm! I'd had lunch really early whereas Marie had it quite late so she was fine. While we were waiting I had half of a sausage roll. Then 10 mins later the other half as it was sooo good! (As an aside you can buy these frozen in Iceland and also in mini form!) I also had one of the Latte's.

So 6pm came and we headed down to the restaurant. We read the menu on the way . We decided against the 2 for £39.99 as we didn't fancy any of the starters plus I don't drink so the wine would have been a waste. Instead we got a starter to share of duck springs rolls. These were really nice and just enough between us.

You can see it's early in the trip as here's a photo of my diet coke and Marie's Irn Bru!

I had the Chicken, Ham Hock & Leek pie which came with peas and mashed potato plus there was gravy. This was really nice but not much chicken in it. Because of my earlier sausage roll I struggled to finish so left a lot of the pastry.

Marie had the chicken burger. She said the roll was hard so didn't eat it, just the chicken breast and chips. I gave her some of my gravy.

This cost just over £40 with the 10% off however they had added a 10% "discretionary" service charge which annoys me as a general rule. I didn't have it taken off as the waitress was very nice and we'd have left around 10% anyway but it's hardly discretionary if they just go ahead and add it .
Anyway, it was nice if a little expensive.

Back at the room we had a cup of tea and our dessert.

The next morning we had a couple of the yum yums with a latte. These were not great the next day and would have been nicer fresh. It filled a hole until we got checked in and through security.

We usually have breakfast at the Beardmore but decided just to go to Frankie & Bennys as we passed it.
Neither of us was too hungry so went for scrambled egg and toast.

I got a latte and Marie got tea. I also got an orange juice.

This was just ok. I prefer my scrambled egg drier than this was. The toast looked like the butter had just been shown to the bread. The latte was horrible. We've done F&Bs for breakfast only once before in town and didn't enjoy it. After this we've decided not to bother again.

Our next meal was on the flight. We were given a menu.

I chose the chicken

and Marie the chilli.

They were both ok. I'm one of those weird people that actually likes airplane food but this wasn't up to usual standards. The salad dressing looked frozen solid so we couldn't get anything out and this made the salad unpalatable. The bread roll was hard and dry as usual and the dessert a not great brownie.

We were given the usual Fab lolly a few hours in. A nice wee refreshment.

An hour or so before landing we got our afternoon tea. I love this as it really is a proper afternoon tea!
I chose the ham, smoked salmon and egg selection.

And Marie the egg mayo, cucumber and cheese & onion.

This was all really nice as usual.

Since we did things differently this year our first meal wasn't something at the resort QS place but we did have to try and find something at RPR or Universal somewhere. Immigration had been an issue so we were a bit later arriving than we'd hoped. Because of this we decided to eat in the hotel. We had a look at the options and went with Jake's Bar as it looked less formal than the Islands Dining Room.

Loved this knife and fork!

And the wee condiment bottles!

I had fish and chips.

This was lovely. The fish (I'm not sure what it was) had a lovely flavour and the batter nice and light.

Marie had the roast chicken. It came with mac & cheese.

Marie enjoyed this and said it was really nice. I tried the mac & cheese and agreed.

This came to around $50. We charged it to our room.

I've just found more notes. I really should read them before posting! Marie had ordered a side of fries with her chicken which we decided afterwards was stupid as I could have given her half of mine. There was also a bit of a delay in the food coming to the extent the server went to check. Not ideal when we were so tired!

Trip Report Index

Edited at 11:26 AM.
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List