Old 6 Oct 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The final reckoning

So I added it up and it cost $989.94 for food for two of us for a week doing basically what we wanted. We had a budget obviously but it was pretty decent so we didn't second guess what we were eating. I just wanted to see if paying for food would be better for us than having DDP, free or paid for. DDP would have cost us £699 and with an exchange rate of $1.31 to the £ (which is what my credit card gave us) we spent £755. So there's the answer. There was food bought that we couldn't have got on DDP such as the Coke stuff ($17.04) and the non-Disney stuff however we probably wouldn't have eaten at those restaurants had we had DDP.
Credit wise we would have needed:

16 TS credits (would have had 14)
8 QS credits or 14 QS (would have had 14)
47 snacks or 29 (would have had 28!)

So had we had DDP we'd have had to pay for 2 meals which doesn't include the day we ate at Fresh and Sharks so we'd have had to pay for those meals too. We'd also have had to do a bit of planning to use QS credits for snacks. We'd have had several desserts we didn't really want.

So overall I think we'd have spent the same money. We'd have used up all our TS credits for sure and by the looks of things our snacks too!

So the verdict? There's a freedom not being tied to credits and it allowed us to eat at a couple of places we wouldn't have normally. However, DDP is great and it's nice to totally relax about food and not worry about going somewhere that a steak costs you $54. Overall, I'd rather have DDP and given that the room discount amounted to £472 over the week we would always choose DDP over a room discount. I look forward to having it free again next year and using lots of snack credits on Ample Hills ice cream!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List