View Single Post
Old 8 Dec 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We were back at Canal by 1130 and headed for the Hard Rock Café.

Happily we were seated and drink in hand about 10 minutes before a huge party of college kids descended - the place went from empty to overflowing in minutes.

Just the one drink here

and then a walk up to the top of Bourbon Street for my favourite, the Shark Attack at the Tropical Isle.

This is such fun and as it was happy hour, it was a triple vodka hit too. Send Help !

Good job we had that carb loaded breakfast earlier.

From there we went back to the hotel

and had another couple of hours at the pool. It was really hot again so it was nice to sit in the shade for a bit. I read for a while and we had some chips and salsa with some soft drinks.

No more of the dodgy daquiris today.

About 5.30 we headed up to get changed and I tidied up the stuff in the case so that there was minimal faffing about needed on Friday when we were leaving.

Tonight we were heading out to Frenchmen Street- we walked straight down Royal

but we went a bit too far as we passed Washington Square and missed the right turn we should have taken. It did get more dimly lit and more deserted the further we walked but we soon realised doubled back finding the turn we needed and coming out right by the Marigny Brasserie.

I think in future we would take the route along Decatur and turn left as it would be easier and busier. The back streets are most definitely not very well lit at all

Frenchmen Street was busy, there was a street market and load of cafes and bars.

Every kind of music that you could imagine, a real melting pot and quite different to Bourbon Street.

Quite a few places had a minimum drinks policy though so something to look out for if you just wanted to stop by and hear the music - you would have to get a drink too.

Our first stop was Café Negril

where there was some great reggae music playing.

The music was very good but the bar was a bit average and the seats not very comfortable so we just had the one drink and headed off. I know I only had a soft drink here so either they didn’t do cocktails or they were not to my taste.

From there we went over the road to Dat Dog.

Our plan is to alternate fine dining and fast food. Yesterday and tomorrow was about the fancy stuff so today was not

A really funky hot dog place . Very hipster.

Embrace your bliss indeed

I went for the burger. Thinking it would be a burger. But it’s not

I did briefly think it looked like something that “Dat Dog” at home would leave me on the lawn but it was very nice.
I had it with cheese fries.

Andy went for the Bacon Werewolf

I also had a Blackberry Mule, with Cathead Vodka. It was ok, but weak.

It was a fun place and the food very fresh

We had a wander along the Street for a bit and made our way back to Bourbon Street

stopping at Maison Bourbon to listen to a jazz band for a bit and then our final stop of the night was the Bourbon O Bar at our hotel for the resident jazz band.

Look its Cheryl Charming again

And that was it for the night, lots of music and lots of walking and a few cocktails. A fairly typical day for us

** I cant upload the various jazz videos nor of the shark attack being made( its such fun) as YouTube and I are not friends at the moment. The shark attack is on my insta account though and I will add Maison Bourbon shortly ****

Today's cocktail tally: 3
Holiday tally : 8

As a footnote.

Last weekend there were some shootings on Canal Street just by the CVS. It was 3am and a weekend of a big football game that has seen trouble in the city before. There were several other shootings that weekend elsewhere in the city.

We feel very at ease as visitors in NOLA but I have deliberately mentioned those points where we took a wrong route or places we wouldn't venture as a bit of a reminder that its easy to get carried away as a tourist.

Most hotels will draw a square on the guide maps for you to give you an idea of where to stick to and its good advice to take to have the most enjoyable time.

End of public service announcement

Tomorrow is HERE

Edited at 09:41 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List