View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
We did it in August.

I'm a runner although largely an injured one so my mileage is way down. My partner is not a runner,. although she's pretty trim and she wanted to run it.

It was quite a struggle for her to run the whole thing, but she did manage to, just. I kept with her, which meant running very within myself, but it was nice to do it together.

it was warm, clearly, but nowhere near as bad as I'd thought it would be. When we were at the Beach Club before our cruise I did a few runs up to the Studios and then laps round the lake and on a few of those the real feel temperature was 43 degrees. Castaway Cay was not as hot as those runs!

Additionally, quite a bit of the run is in the shade - certainly far more than I expected based on what I'd read from others about running up and down the runway. Most of the run is NOT up and down the runway!

It's good fun and there are people going at all kinds of pace - some decent runners going at quite a clip, some jogging along, some alternating jogging and walking and others walking.

Finally, as the cast member at the start said: it's just for fun. You can run around the corner from the start, turn round and come back 30 seconds later and you'll still get a medal!

if you're capable of jogging/running 5km you should do it. Take it slow at the outset and then pick up the pace if you feel you have it in you. If not, slow down to a walk and do what you need to do to get round.

Good luck - you'll love it!
Perfect! Thanks for that, it’s really good to know that there is some shade and it’s not all out in the open...even cycling along the runway last year was tough in the heat 😂.
I’m super excited to do it tbh...especially now that I can actually run for more than 5k without collapsing in a heap 😂. I’m probably just gonna use the gym for running at AKL tbh, although I’d like to try the path to Kidani and back but I reckon the heat will not work for me and it’s a bit of a hill I think? I’ve never actually even walked it before as we’ve used the shuttle in the past but I’ll defo check it out as I prefer to run outside.

Oh and running round the ship is on my bucket list...in fact I want to run round every Disney ship at least once...so that’ll definitely be getting ticked off 👍 . We walked it last year and it was fun so I’m really happy to be running it this year!

Thanks again for your help!
Glenbrook Villa & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2009, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Polynesian 2014, The Wedding Pavilion & The Polynesian 2016, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Disney Dream & The Yacht Club 2018, The Disney Dream & Animal Kingdom Lodge club level 2019,
-kat- is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List