View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 18, 01:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 6: Shopping and the Village

I managed to sleep to about 5.30am but the last hour was a bit restless!

Breakfast was still the same - I had cinnamon toast, juice and coffee!

At about 8.15am I left to go to class. Rain was forecast today but this morning the sky was blue!

The underground walkway system really is great! I imagine it is even better when it is -20C but even on days like today I enjoy using it (especially now I have got my bearings!) One of the big advantages for me is the lack of crossings - and often crowds! There really is a whole world of shops and malls in the tunnels! I keep coming across shopping areas I never knew existed!

I got myself a Starbucks flat white which seems to be the trendy drink of the moment. Still not sure how it is different to a latte - any suggestions gladly received!

I was first into class. Two of my classmate seem to have disappeared - I know neither of them were happy with being in this class.

Theme of the day - how you should dress for work! Homework was given.

I wandered about the area (near the Notre Dame Cathedral). I liked this building with the clock. It reminded me of parts of New York.

My statue tour has encouraged me to look more at what us around me!

This statue is a monument yo Marguerite Bourgeoys - she was the founder of the Congregation of Notre Dame of Montreal in Quebec and has since been declared a saint.

I took a different route back in order to see a part of the Berlin Wall. This was donated to Montreal in 1993.
I had passed it on Sunday but didn't realize the significance of it!

I went back to Ben & Florentine and had avocado toast with eggs - an odd combination but very tasty.

I spent lunch iMessaging with F. I asked her if there was anything else she wanted and she asked if there was a Children's Place nearby for some t-shirts.

A quick google showed there were several. The nearest involved the metro and a bus but one a little further out was on the metro line that my nearest station was on. Easy choice to make (I don't like buses!)

After dropping off my folder at the hotel and iMessaging with O a little, I headed out again! I bought a 3 day pass - I could use it to get to the airport on Friday.

The metro took about 25 minutes to get to Radisson station. The mall was just across the road from the exit!

I managed to find 5 t-shirts I thought F would like (the advice had bern no Hello Kitty and not babyish! )

They were 50% off so C$37 for all 5 - not bad! And F gets 5 t-shirts her mates don't have!

Even in the mall I found a statue - outside J's favourite Canadian store!

I got off at Patineau so I could walk through the Village. I lived the view down yo the Biosphere in the distance. I didn't manage to capture it very well.

The housing stock was interesting too.

The area developed as the hub for the Gay community. It had a lovely ambiance which coupled with the interesting buildings made me appreciate why it was a popular area to live in.

It started to drizzle but thankfully I wasn't too far from the next metro stop. It was only 3 stops until I got off and it wasn't long until I was back at the hotel.

I decided to attack my homework which took about an hour.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to eat. I admit to getting fed up of eating out !

I wandered around the food court in the Eaton Centre but nothing yelled out to me!

I decided to grab a beetroot burger from Copper Branch but to take it back to the hotel. That involved a very quick walk so I could get it back still warm. The burger was really nice but, as usual, I couldn't eat it all

It is now 8.30pm. I have again managed to walk a lot - 19,296 steps which equated to over 14.5 km! I can't see me lasting much longer before flaking out!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List