View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I read some of these posts and think if only life was so simple. Yes it’s easy to say carry on working for as long as you can to enable yourself to have a comfortable old age but life has a habit of turning your well laid plans upside down for a number of reasons.

I planned to retire at 60 or maybe 65 depending on how I felt at the time but loo and behold I was diagnosed with cancer at 51. It was a wake up call for me (my mother died aged 47) and decided to retire when I was 55. Nobody knows what’s round the corner and we certainly don’t skimp on holidays on the off chance we might live until we are 90.

Don’t know about anyone else on here but pensions were the last thing we thought about when we were struggling to pay our mortgage and raise our young children. Fancy holidays abroad were not up for discussion. It is only when you get older that you can afford to put money aside and of course that can be too late for some.

It is shocking that most of the large companies appear to have abandoned their pension schemes - you are just a number to them and loyalty and hard work counts for nothing.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List