View Single Post
Old 27 Sep 19, 04:39 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

We got married in 2010 at Clearwater courthouse.

Went something like this:
We notified no-one or made anyone in the US aware of our plans as their website made no mention of us needing to do that.
Completed marriage application forms before leaving UK; printed them off from website; however, we could have picked them up & filled them in on the day.
Turned up at the courthouse when it opened without making an appointment 2 days after we got to Florida; there is no need for minimum length of residency (unlike some other states), there is no need to have witnesses (unlike some other states) & there is no need for UK residents to give any notice of intention to marry (Florida residents had to wait x weeks).
We advised we’d like to apply to get married; Jean did the paperwork for us; we had to prove ID with passports & swear an oath that we knew no reason why the marriage could not take place.
Jean gave us our licence & asked if we knew when we wanted to marry; we said “now!”, she said no problem, I’ll be marrying you, follow me; we went into the ‘wedding room’ & were married within 5 minutes.
Within 5 minutes after that, we had 10 marriage certificates; no issues at all when I used them to change my name when back in the UK; accepted as they were, no need to register them in the UK.

It cost around $150; oh, we got married in shorts & t-shirts!

So, really really easy!

Edited at 05:09 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List