View Single Post
Old 1 Apr 18, 05:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 4. Commencing the long drive South... ''Do you know the way to Monterey' 🤣(yes I know it should be San Jose, but going via Oakland, we missed San Jose).

We had carefully chosen our hire car company and purely on the basis of location, Budget at 821 Howard St. This was a 5 minute walk with suitcases from the Marriott Marquis and very close to the entry lane onto the Bay Bridge. £272 for 11 days hire and dropping off at LAX (minus A £20 cashback, so £252). We were given a lovely Toyota RAV4 with 2700 miles on it. This worked very well as I had no intention of driving in SF and in any case, parking fees are eye watering.

And so we leave! Bottom, outbound deck of the magnificent Bay Bridge.

A Convair B36 Peacemaker (Strange name for a Strategic Nuclear Bomber that had no other purpose than nuclear annihilation . 10 Engines)

We drove 2hr20 to Castle Air Force Base (I am a lifelong Aircraft nut). A great collection, all in the open air and easily researched on google. We then drove a further 2hrs 20 to Monterey where we checked in to the Monterey Bay Inn, expensive, but brilliantly located on Cannery Row. After a stroll and dinner at Bubba Gumps, it was wine o'clock.

Matt's feet are not really that big and he doesnt really have a suitcase or box of chocolates (assorted).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:28 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List