Old 24 Sep 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

On to day four! Another early start today! I woke up about 7:30 had half an hour on the dibb before I got up and made some coffee. Did the usual morning routine and we were out by 9am! I was feeling peckish this morning and craving a croissant, we walked to intermarche, the supermarket about 10 mins away from our hotel. Really feeling the heat this morning- the nicest day yet, highs of 27! We each got a chocolate croissant and a bottle of fresh orange to share. It really was fresh orange as you added oranges to a juicer and watched it make your drink for you- it was delicious. We ate this as we made our way down to the beach for our usual walk!

We did our usual walk along the beach, the waves were less frequent than yesterday so I went further in to the Sea feeling brave. I was wearing denim shorts and unfortunately I got soaked by a sneaky wave 😂 Wet denim is the worst lol. Once we had finished on the beach we went up to the hotel room to shower and change. Today we are heading to sagres to ‘the end of the world’. We left the hotel at 11am, the drive was just under an hour.

We arrived at 11:50 am to the fort in sagres, we parked up and walked through the fort walls and purchased two tickets to go past the walls. For both of us it was €6, for the views alone it was worth this and more! We did about an hours walk around the cliffs and took in the views of the sea! All you can see is the ocean, which is why it is called the end of the world as everyone thought the world was flat. We went Inside the tiny watch towers, the little church and up along the walls and saw the cannons etc. We had a great time.

Around 1:45 we decided to go and head for some lunch down in sagres. We found a little beach restaurant called Nortada. It was on the beach entirely and the views where fantastic. I ordered a sprite and a tomato, mozzarella and pesto sandwich and Reubs had a fanta, followed by a beer and a steak sandwich- we also ordered fries to share. Lunch was great the portion size of the chips was crazy for the price, Only costing €23 for all of it! We got the bill and set off driving back to Alvor...

We parked up in the harbour in Alvor around 3:30pm, we had a walk along the front and then we went to grab an ice cream... from the same place as the day before and we got the same flavours, they’re too moorish! We sat and ate these outside of the little market hall in the center of the town. Then on to a little souvenir shopping. We got a photo frame and a hand painted dish for ourselves, a painting of Alvor for Reubs parents, they love it here so much so we are going to get it framed and save it as a Christmas pressie! The first one bought this year! We also picked up a few trinkety bits for reubens cousins! We drove back to the hotel for a chill out in the room and a drink on the balcony before we headed out for dinner. Tonight the plan is to go to Atlantida, this restaurant is situated on the beach about 15 mins along from our hotel, so we plan on heading to the beach for sunset at 7:30! 😊

We went down to the beach for around 7pm- we saw the sun setting on the beach and it was beautiful, we decided to go for a quick drink at the sea deck bar, the drinks here were nice and only €8 for one pint of beer and one wine! However we didn’t get served and ended up going up to the bar to order and later to pay- this isn’t usually the done thing in Portugal so it wasn’t great! We also realised during the course of our drinks the restaurant we had planned on going too is shut on a Tuesday! Instead we headed up to Casa do Rio. This restaurant has a lovely location on its own cliff over looking the harbour. We took a taxi here as it was very windy and a little chilly, it took about 5 mins and cost €4! Very good indeed. Reubs and his family had had many meals here so we were expecting great things, unfortunately it wasn’t great at all. Firstly the service was slow, our drinks took about 15 mins to arrive and at the same time I was told my main I ordered wasn’t available, instead I opted for a prawn curry and Reubs had chosen sirloin steak! We also decide to share a few starters. We ordered a prawn cocktail, cheeey garlic bread and a chorizo type Portuguese sausage. The sausage arrived 10 mins after the other starters and prior to this we thought they’d forgotten it all together, it wasn’t really our thing but that’s personal taste. The garlic bread was fine and prawn cocktail was good. My main was bland and seemed like something you’d buy as a ready meal! Reubs steak was very tough and chewy, chips were frozen food and the salad was average too. Not a great meal for us at all, the service wasn’t great either. We won’t be back!

We walked back to the hotel to watch some tv before bed, both feeling disappointed by our meal!
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List