View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We don't drive and have no interest in beaches or wildlife. Orlando, Clearwater, the Keys etc don't hold any appeal for us (although saying that, I have never been so perhaps I shouldn't judge!) However, we like to go to cities where we can get around easily by public transport, and visit lots of buildings, museums, theatres etc. So if we wanted to do the US but not WDW, we would probably go to NYC, Boston, San Francisco etc.

I am a ride wimp and go on almost no rides in Universal. By contrast, I could spend days in a Disney park without going on any rides at all - just enjoying the shows, the atmosphere and the theming. So for us, the point of an Orlando holiday is basically the Mouse himself.

However, despite being in our 50s with no children, we live in London and rent, so practically all our income goes on rent and necessities. It takes us a good 5 years to save up enough to go to WDW, and we have only managed to go twice. Which is perhaps the reason we haven't gone sour on it.

It's easy to read the Dibb and think that everyone in the UK goes to Orlando every year. Whereas in fact, most people I know have never gone and will never be able to afford to go. (And before you say "they could if they saved hard enough" - no. Most people I know are struggling to stay alive, pay the bills and put food on the table. They don't throw money away on luxuries, but however hard they work, there will never be enough left at the end of the month to save for a holiday. Our closest friends have been out of the UK only once in the last 20 years, and that was because we took them to DLP and shared rooms.)

I'm not qualified to judge whether WDW is the value it once was. But even so - I will get back there one day!

Meanwhile, though, we're saving hard for Japan, budget permitting (which looks as if it will cost about the same!)
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List