View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I was going to say this very thing.

I suspect some of those that go every year or every two years are simply getting slightly more bored of Disney every time they visit. The “value” they get from visiting Disney is getting less and less because it’s all mostly the same each time. There are less surprises and less unexplored parts whilst, sure, Disney changes it’s business model to something ‘different’. So if the value reduces whilst the cost is increasing then their perceived “value for money” is reducing at double the rate. Throw in the old feeling that “things aren’t like they used to be” and I can see why some people might want to go elsewhere.

The DIBB doesn’t accurately reflect most Disney holidaymakers. There are a number of DIBBers who visit Florida several times a year - that’s pretty unusual. I remember talking to someone at work about WDW and he was amazed I’d visited Disneyworld 8 times. He said most other people he’d spoken to about WDW had only visited 2 or 3 times. And compared to many folk on here, I’ve not visited that often.

I also think the constant bombardment of info on social media (including the DIBB) doesn’t help. Like with movies and TV shows, people are “spoiled” by stuff they see online, ruining the surprise. I know what Galaxy’s Edge is like and what’s there long before I even get to visit it myself. Some of that initial amazement has been eroded away, again reducing the apparent value.

It’s part of the reason why we decided to wait 4 years before visiting again. We didn’t want WDW to start becoming a little stale.
Don't forget that the staleness also has something to do with the amount of new things to do though. We found WDW (and orlando in general) stale in 2009 despite not having been for 3 years - largely because there seemed to have been nothing much that had changed for us.

The type of trips you go on can contribute too - we changed our trip style up from budget to higher end and our resort from I-drive to Universal on-site in 2017 and I think that contributed as much to a fresh feel as the time difference did.

In general though I'd agree that familiarity makes things duller. Hence why my upcoming trip will likely be my last for a while. If we even get there - it's booked with Thomas Cook and all other providers Orlando offers are inferior or more expensive.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List